• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Need help attracting Baltimore Orioles (1 Viewer)

JoeGBirder

Photography and birding enjoyer
United States
This is the second year in a row I've successfully attracted Baltimore Orioles to my feeder. I have used oranges and grape jelly, which both seem to work well. The oranges are easy, and other birds also like them. Even the red-bellied woodpeckers enjoy them. But the problem is the jelly is annoying. It's slippery against the oranges and the oranges are at an angle the way my feeder is designed. Overall, it is more messy than helpful. I can't even tell if the jelly makes a difference at all, and it probably doesn't when it all drips to the ground by the time the Orioles arrive at the feeder. Are there any additional methods I could use to feed them without the jelly? Thanks.

- Joe

Have 3 feedfeeders for my Orioles. They are cups on a platform. They are voracious eaters. My problem is that I also have a Robin, a cardinal, and many sparrows eating the jelly. Going thru a jar a day. Occasionally a woodpecker and grosbeak will have a nibble.

I didn’t have Baltimore Orioles, but never had a problem attracting Scott’s and Hooded with just the oranges.

Hi there Sharon and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like. ;)

It does get a wee bit expensive going through a jar of jelly a day. And this time of year they seem to raise the prices a bit but I gotta tell you, I'd rather go broke than not have all that activity at my feeders :)

I mix 3 parts of frozen blueberries, one part of blueberry or grape jelly and one part of water, blend it and put in oriole feeder with a glass cup. Feeder is orange color with orange dome cover. Orioles and catbird love it.

Last edited:
Bird feeder is like that, but half orange I place on the top of feeder pole.

Attachments

• WGORANGEnew_300.jpg
    WGORANGEnew_300.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 2
  • fe95e0dcf5ec0fd846433967c4ec0c33.jpg
    fe95e0dcf5ec0fd846433967c4ec0c33.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 2
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back