• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Need guide recommendatios for Sulawesi (1 Viewer)

Jose Ramon

Hi all,

We are planning to go to Sulawesi on the first half of July 2023.

Regarding the guides I fount the following ones:

1.- Nurlin Djuni (Malia tours)

2.- Sultan birding

3.- Noldi Kakauhe (Endemic wildlife)

Do you have any references of them?

Are they professional bird guides?

Do you know any other professional guide?

We are already four people and we may accept maybe two more in the group.

Could you please inform me about a reasonable price for a 14 days tour to Sulawesi (without international flights) in economical hotels?

Thanks in advance,

I was in a group of four who went to Sulawesi and Halmahera with Nurlin Djuni (from Palu) in 2015, and found him an excellent and companionable guide, also very involved with conservation. A more impressive reference is that Arjan Dwarshuis used him during his record-setting "global big year".

I won't quote our cost (it was 8 years ago), but it was extremely inexpensive, even including 5 internal flights. There are very few options for lodging in all but a couple of places; he arranged for "homestays" in several.

The only questionable lodging was at the ranger station next to the Maleo site (e.g. one Asian toilet, shared with the staff); we knowingly agreed to stay there to avoid a long drive before entry.

Last edited:
I've also travelled with Nurlin in Sulawesi and would generally recommend, although he wasn't able to be with our group all the time. He arranged other guides when he wasn't available and that was okay. I think the cost (group of four) was roughly half what most regular tours are. I'd agree that the lodging at the Maleo site was the least good! The Maleo is great though, so it's worth doing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back