• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Need advice re feeding and photos (1 Viewer)

lheron

Here in the Detroit suburbs, there are nature centers but birds seem to be few and far between or maybe it's that somebody my age (71) just can't get around much anymore. There are some areas (one just outside a hospital physical therapy building) with lots of feeders and lots of birds. So first, I need to know what food attracts the most varied birds.

Second, I'm interested in photography but I don't want photos of birds on feeders. I notice that when certain feeders are used, those that don't allow a bird to rest on it comfortably, the bird feeds and then flies of to rest on a nearby tree or bush. What kind of feeder allows this and what kind of tree or bush would birds prefer to pose for photos?

Here in the Detroit suburbs, there are nature centers but birds seem to be few and far between or maybe it's that somebody my age (71) just can't get around much anymore. There are some areas (one just outside a hospital physical therapy building) with lots of feeders and lots of birds. So first, I need to know what food attracts the most varied birds.

Second, I'm interested in photography but I don't want photos of birds on feeders. I notice that when certain feeders are used, those that don't allow a bird to rest on it comfortably, the bird feeds and then flies of to rest on a nearby tree or bush. What kind of feeder allows this and what kind of tree or bush would birds prefer to pose for photos?

I don't like "feeder" photographs either, so what I've done is to set up my feeders among natural and unnatural perches of various kinds (trees, bushes, sticks, whatever). Since places at the feeders are limited, some birds--when there are lots about--tend to land on the perches to wait for an opening. The kind of bush or trees really doesn't really matter except, of course, you want something fairly open so that leaves and branches don't get in the way of the photos. Dead branches lashed to a stake or pole work particularly well--they look natural and can be arranged anyway you want. Unfortunately July is not a very good time for feeder photography, the best opportunities being in the winter when food is scarce and birds are most dependent on artificial sources.

Here's some photos of a Ruby-crowned Kinglet I took in my suburban backyard a few winters ago using artificial perches of the sort I've described: http://www.flickr.com/photos/fugl/405332251/in/set-72157602221849079/

I recommend to start with black oil sunflower seed - it seems to attract a fairly good variety of birds. I get blue jays, chickadees, nuthatches, sparrows.
Good luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back