• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My patch, River Stort, 11/12/04 (1 Viewer)

markpie

United Kingdom
Hi
Thought I'd post about my patch sightings from today. I went at one o'clock, because I hardly ever go in the afternoon.
I saw 27 species in total, including:
Green woodpecker, 2
Great spotted woodpecker, 2
Mistle thrush, actually a new addition to my patch list despite being quite common.
Grey heron, 2
Cormorant, 2
Kingfisher, 2, one giving best view I've ever had. Perched in an overhanging branch 5 metres in front of me.
Kestrel, male
Snipe, 5
Goldfinch, 10
Greenfinch, 50+
Jay, carrion crow, magpie, rook, jackdaw (60+)
Redwing, 26

I met a fisherman early on, and when i met him again when I was walking back (quite dark now), he said that 30 mins after I left 2 woodcock flew over. Kept my eyes peeled for the rest of journey, because the only woodcock I've seen was in the dark, but I didn't have any success.
That's all,
Cheers, Mark

Hi Mark

the Kingfisher must have been great to see. Do you get many ducks species? We seem to be blessed with Green Woodies around here.

Hi Pete,
Not really. I always get mallard. Sometimes a tufted duck appears. However further down I get a few more, and especially at Glen Faba. Also around my area i get little grebes, coots and moorhens. Yeah we get a lot of green woodies, and great spotted. Haven't seen lesser spotted yet, but I have in the woods 5 mins up my road.
Cheers, Mark

Thanks for the info Mark,

I really enjoy hearing about other people's local birds.

Green Woodies and Kingfishers... Nice! :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back