• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My First Co. Durham Avocet! (1 Viewer)

Quacker

Ok not the rarest bird in the world, but certainly one of the most elegant. Having heard they were in the Tees vicinity, I looked around the Greatham Creek area having been tipped-off they'd moved from Back Saltholme - There was a pair, but nothing seen on the walk to Seal Sands, but there was one, in all its splendour on the return - not sure where t'other one was.

I've seen them in Suffolk, Norfolk and Lancs, but always a thrill to see one in my own county.

Very nice day out today, even the sea breeze was warm;-)

I keep a life list and a year list, now I guess I'll start a county list - all part of the excitement.

Steve

Quacker said:
Ok not the rarest bird in the world, but certainly one of the most elegant. Having heard they were in the Tees vicinity, I looked around the Greatham Creek area having been tipped-off they'd moved from Back Saltholme - There was a pair, but nothing seen on the walk to Seal Sands, but there was one, in all its splendour on the return - not sure where t'other one was.

I've seen them in Suffolk, Norfolk and Lancs, but always a thrill to see one in my own county.

Very nice day out today, even the sea breeze was warm;-)

I keep a life list and a year list, now I guess I'll start a county list - all part of the excitement.

Steve

Nice one,
I managed to see this Bird too (only my 3rd + 2 have been Teeside ). It was great to get such close views and it "showed" very well.(wish I'd got a decent pic tho). Avocet is now my favorite wader..(now how do I change my user name?)
ps Well done..

Last edited:
Congrats Steve.

Lovely birds and even better when they are on your local patch.

I took Senatore (Max) out yesterday and one of the sites we visited was Upton Warren. A couple of years ago a pair of Avocets arrived and actually bred there, having 4 chicks. They have returned and bred again and so far have had one chick. I say so far because the chick is only a couple or so days old and the female is still sitting on the nest so I suppose there is a chance of more.

I saw the pair the other week when they were very obliging in front of the Seal Sands hide (Photos on website).

Didn't see them yesterday, was looking for the Garganey which I still managed to miss, nice Pintail on Dormans which made up for it.

B :)

Yeah it was very hit and miss yesterday, just the one Avocet seen on the return from Seal Sands hide, it was not there or not visible on the way to the hide.

Nothing of note on Doormans - save the RC Pochard, - the Pintail had gone b then (others in the area confirmed this) and back Saltholme was quiet with a pair of Ringed Plover down to 12 feet - no Garganey, though there was an unid'd female duck (males are bad enough!) but the Garganey reported earlier was a drake.

Very windy in the area, but the wind was warm.

I can relate to was you said LSB, it's a stunning bird, certainly my favourite wader.

Needless to say, I left Boldon flats for Teesside and missed the flyover of Pallid Harrier & Honey Buzzard etc. - at least I think they were reported on the pager - it went crazy for a while over the weekend with raptors beeping all over the north east.

Steve

Here's a few photos of when they were showing well in front of the Seal Sands hide the other week.

The first one's my favourite, still trying to get the hang of digiscoping, which is why the other ones aren't so good.

B :)

Attachments

• Avocet1.JPG
    Avocet1.JPG
    25.3 KB · Views: 126
  • Avocet3.JPG
    Avocet3.JPG
    20.2 KB · Views: 150
  • Avocet2.JPG
    Avocet2.JPG
    23.3 KB · Views: 118
  • Avocet4.JPG
    Avocet4.JPG
    22.4 KB · Views: 121
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back