• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Motney Hill (1 Viewer)

Andy Ledger

Falling into disrepair
Having finished work at 2 this afternoon, I decided to fit in a couple of hours' birding before dinner. The tide was right in when I got there, so apart from a couple of Lapwings, it was a wader free zone. There were at least 100 Black Headed Gulls just offshore - and a few onshore - including one juvenile mewing for food. Also present were a couple of Lesser Black backed Gulls, out in the Medway estuary. Great Crested Grebes were diving a bit further out, and on the wreck of the 'Aberdeen' at various stage during my 3 hour stay were an Oystercatcher, another Lesser BB Gull, 2 Stock Doves ( a favoured spot for them) and a Cormorant. They're much maligned, but in the right setting, they are cracking looking birds.
Walking down the sea wall from the car park brings the reedbeds on the East side into view, and they were fairly quiet, it must be said. Linnets, Green and Goldfinches were flitting about between the scrubby bushes and the wheatfields nearby. Reed Buntings were also present. Collared Doves, Woodpigeons and Crows go almost without saying in a rural location like that. A female Teal flew from the reedbeds and settled on the the estuary, the sun catching the beautiful green speculum as she stretched her wings.
I was hoping to see the Marsh Harriers again, but not this time, I'm afraid.
On the way back to the car, the tide had started to go out, and several juvenile Shelducks were feeding close to the sea wall - top marks for being cute, and a lovely reminder of how nature renews itself.
Nearly back to the car, and the best bird of the day for me; a female Sparrowhawk came wheeling across the sky from the South, and flew right overhead, giving good views of its markings.
No rarities, but a pleasant way to unwind after work.

19/08/04. Another visit, bright sunshine, but battered by strong winds. It was very difficult to hold myself steady, never mind the tripod! More Black-headed Gulls than anything down at the South End, close in by the the sea wall. In all, about 7 Great Crested Grebes offshore, a few Lesser Black-backed Gulls; to the reedbed side of the road there were Goldfinches, Collared Doves, Woodpigeons, Starlings, and the female Marsh Harrier put in a brief appearance. In the channel throught the reeds were the resident Mallards, a Coot, and two Moorhens, parent and child.

As I'd specified no return time, I decided to go the who hog and walk all the way around the Western shore of the peninsula to the back of the water treatment works, taking in the marshes where the waders roost. There were large numbers of Black-tailed Godwits, Redshanks and Starlings with a fondness for salt air. A couple of Mallards were keeping them company. At one point, a channel runs from terra firma down to the water's edge, and at the end of this were two Little Egrets bossing the Black-headed gulls about. Further round (as far as it's safe to go) I found Lapwings among the seaweed (very well camouflaged) and three Ringed Plovers. A wind assisted Common Tern passed up the estuary, and the Grebes had relocated to this spot. By the time I reached this spot, the tide had gone out considerably. On the way back, a Grey Plover among the gulls on the mudflats added another species to the day's list.

PS - there were still a few Swifts flitting about, so they haven't all gone just yet.

Last edited:
Hi Andy,

I get to Motney Hill from time to time, nice to hear there's someone else giving it some attention. Best bird I had there was a wheatear.

Woody

It pays to work round to the far side, doesn't it?

I hardly ever see any birders there, just the occasional older couple with his'n'hers matching fleeces and one pair of bins between two. It's a great place, right on my doorstep. Might see you down there one of these days. I won't be hard to spot, I'll probably be the only one with a scope, but the BF cap might give it away too!

2nd birding trip of the day (morning visit to Bough Beech). 3 pm - 4.15. Weather overcast and very windy, tide dropping but not quite at the low mark.

Visits to Motney always seem to start for me with about 100 Black-headed Gulls, and today was no different. Walking along the sea wall gives views over the reedbeds to the right, but there wasn't much going on. Still some swifts flitting about, though.

Out on the mudflats were Grey Plovers, with the bulk still in summer plumage, which I think is very striking. There were a handful in quite close, but out on one of the bars were close to 100, with a few Black-tailed Godwits and Curlews. While I was watching, a large flock of waders flew in from the high tide roosts, and there was wall to wall Godwits! A few Redshanks in with them, but mainly Limosa limosa. Some Lapwings, too. Also visible were Ringed Plovers, 5 that I could see.

Lesser Black-backed Gulls numbered 5, a couple of Common and Herring Gulls too, and to wrap it up, just before I got back to the car park I looked out into the gulley by the old dock, and there was a Greenshank.

And I was glad to get out of the wind again - the day before August Bank Holiday, and the weather is pants!

Still waiting for the first returning Grey Plover. I too like fitting in a few different spots as it feels good to get about a bit. It also dioes wonders for your day list!

Mid-afternoon, and time for a couple of hours down the patch before tea-time. My heart sank as I passed the car park and saw three blokes with three little motorbikes. Despite my prayer that they were leaving, they didn't. I parked at the far end of the sea wall out towards the water treatment works and started walking out to the far point behind it. I was soon followed by what sounded like a group of bees through a fuzzbox, and along came the three grown men on childs' bikes....and they were headed straight for the foreshore (tide waaaaaay out). 'This isn't on' thought I - so I stood in their path and tried reasoning and appealing to their better judgment, pointing out that they would be disturbing birds in their natural setting. After meeting with hostility and sarcasm, and hints that because I'd got bins and scope I might be a perv (looking at what???) I changed tack, got my mobile out and suggested that I call the Police, who'd discuss the (il)legality of riding across farmers' fields, on the road without helmets (or insurance, I'll bet). Strangely enough, they decided to go the other way instead.

Anyway, I reached my destination, and was rewarded with good views of roosting Black-tailed Godwits. Spread out on the mudflats were more Godwits, plus about 50-100 Grey Plover in a mixture of plumages, Redshanks, Shelducks, 1 Little Egret, 1 Avocet, about 30 Curlews, 20 Oystercatchers, a few Ringed Plovers, three Turnstones, plus mixed Gulls. Of these latter were a couple of hundred Black Headed Gulls, a second Winter Herring Gull, Lesser AND Greater Black Backed Gulls. Odds and ends in the hedgerows and fields included a massive flock of Starlings, quite a few Swallows, Woodpigeons, a Skylark, a Blue Tit, and a Wren. From a shaky start was rescued a rewarding two hours. Despite high winds (nothing compared with Ivan, obviously) I was sheltered under the bank and sitting comfortably on a lump of concrete. I'd have stayed a while longer, but had to get home 'cos the Mrs had to get ready for work. Worth going, though.

Been out of the frame for a bit recently. Motney is getting plagued with oiks on bikes, which is a real shame. If anyone gets down there and has problems with off-road bikers, report it to the Police. There's a PC running an operation to combat the problem in the Medway area. Can't remember his name...

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back