• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Morocco? (1 Viewer)

RockyRacoon

Is it worth me getting myself a paper round to save up for a trip with the school through the Moroccon Mountains? I would have to work about 3 hours every Friday, but I suppose in winter I could count the Pied Wagtails head to their roost overhead, in Spring I could listen to the bird song, in Summer I could soak up the nice weather and in Autumn I could look for migrants heading down my road, such as Spotted Flycatchers and Willow warblers, and in the rain... I could dream about seeing Moussier's Redstart, I am not one that really would enjoy a paper round, but I look on the bright side ;)

Does anyone know what I am likely to see in Morocco?

oh yes indeed

it was my first real trip abroad....

Morocco is a very 'different' country and offers perhaps the best birding in the western Pal alongside Turkey

Save, save, save and get out there Jake. I had a milk round and did likewise. Your first real trip abraod is always special and Morocco is a great place to start

You could see Spectacled Warblers, Moussier's Reds, Long-legged Buzzards, Crimson-winged Finches, Seebohm's Wheatear, and many many other top quality birds

Tim

Are them birds the birds in the mountains? I don't even know what a Crimson-winged Finch or a Seebohm's Wheatear looks like, so it must be a good place to go!

Jake go go go for that paper round, not only is that hol worth it, but the independence it will give to you, ie: save to upgrade your bins & scope with out relying on your parents.
You may even grow to like it. And yes Morocco is a magic place, as is anywere in North-Africa. Good luck Jake.

Wow Crimson-winged Finch, look at the beak on that! How common are they in the mountains?

Seebohm's Wheatear isn't even in Collins Bird Guide! I'll have to do an image search for that one!

Hi Jake

CW Finch are usually seen around Oukaimeden ski resort in the Atlas Mountains

I also saw them on the Tagdilt Track but they are not so usual there

Seebohm's Wheatear is the Moroccan version of our Wheatear but it has a full black throat and mask.

Tim

Jake Apps said:
Seebohm's Wheatear isn't even in Collins Bird Guide! I'll have to do an image search for that one!

Hi Jake,

It is in - page 265, Wheatear, 2nd row of pics, middle bird, labelled "seebohmi (NW Africa)"

birding in morocco

Jake Apps said:
Is it worth me getting myself a paper round to save up for a trip with the school through the Moroccon Mountains? I would have to work about 3 hours every Friday, but I suppose in winter I could count the Pied Wagtails head to their roost overhead, in Spring I could listen to the bird song, in Summer I could soak up the nice weather and in Autumn I could look for migrants heading down my road, such as Spotted Flycatchers and Willow warblers, and in the rain... I could dream about seeing Moussier's Redstart, I am not one that really would enjoy a paper round, but I look on the bright side ;)

Does anyone know what I am likely to see in Morocco?

Hi Jake. I've been a few times birding in Morocco, and i'll be back next week. I have a few hints, but in depends on the species or areas you are interested on, Just let me know.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back