• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Minsmere (1 Viewer)

StevieEvans

Hello.

Havn't had the pleasure of visiting this reserve yet...........

Am planning to visit before the middle of May.

Any info would be appreciate.

(I have viewed the RSPB web site............it tells me all i want to know about Minsmeres Toilets & Car Park......BUT not much about its birds.)

Anyone know the reserve well, or visited at this time of year ?

Thanks

Stevie.

Hi Steve.

I spent a day at Minsmere last May and saw nearly 80 species. With the varied habitat you get to see a wide variety of birds - sea birds offshore, waders, reed bed and woodland birds. I can be more specific if you like.

I suggest you avoid a weekend (if you can) as it will be very busy.

Thank you both.
I have read Colin article very quickly, & will read it fully later on tonight.
It sounds like a great place with a huge variety of types of bird.

If the weather is okay we'll be visiting this weekend.

Thanks SE

Worth taking the trouble to look for (or so i'm told ... though i never saw any last friday) are the Dartford Warblers on nearby Westleton Heath (lots of other sp. about as well, inc Nightingales singing last week) or the Dunwich NT area.

There is another thread started by yours truly, in the 'info wanted', regarding finding these.

Dunwich NT is also a good viewpoint overlooking Minsmere reserve, good for watching the harriers. And generally a nice place as well. Both these areas are worth looking at before Minsmere itself, as the reserve doesn't open til 9.

Going south along the beach past the reserve, down to the power station has got to worth a look also if you've the time. Bit of a migrant spot.

I went last Friday and it was busy then, never been on a weekend though.

Hope that's of use

We visited Minsmere last Friday, perfect, we had a 30 minute view of the Bittern from the Bittern Hide, much excitement there! In fact since this hide has been built there is only been one occasion out of 10 that we haven't seen one.

We had the rare treat of standing no more than 10' from a Grasshopper Warbler sitting on top of a reed, 'fishing reeling' for all of 10 minutes, there were supposed to be 15+ there that day, we saw 2.

We are members of the RSPB and as we live within 30 minutes drive from MM we are never disappointed in seeing something new and on our doorstep too!

John Cooper said:
there were supposed to be 15+ there that day, we saw 2.
They've had that optimistic figure on the newsheets for weeks... maybe it'll become the new 'woodlark over the car park' ;)

Visited last Sunday afternoon/evening for 5 hours & located 85 species.

Best Birding Site we've been to by far!

Saw Purple Heron, Bittern, L.Egret, Hobby, Woodlark, Green & GSWpkr, Jay, Spotted Crake, Temmincks Stint, Greenshank, Common Sand, Bearded Tit, Marsh Tit, Treecreeper, Garganey, Avocet, Marsh Harrier, Cettis Warbler, Nightingale, Turtle Dove, Redstart, Whitethroat, Reed & Sedge Warbler etc, etc with Dartford Warbler & Grass Snake nearby at Dunwich.

Wish we had got there earlier. Will have to return....

Thanks for help. Very Impressed. SE.

Wow, 85 in five hours. I am looking forward to my day there. I will be with good friends too so that makes it a lot better!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back