• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Minsmere & Welney this weekend Q's (1 Viewer)

gindog

United Kingdom
Am going to be able to visit both Minsmere and Welney this weekend. Staying at a B n B in Saxmundham. Ariving Saxmundham Friday early afternoon.

I am wondering if I should go to Minsmere for the Friday afternoon/early evening? Or will Saturday be plenty of time or the whole place? This is also a bit dependent on the weather.

Thinking of going to Welney on the Sunday, about 2 hours driving from Saxmundham, and would welcome views on how good Welney is and if it will be worth my travelling that far? My companion is in a wheelchair for most of the time during the day when we are out and about, tho' can do crutches for some of the time.

cheers

dave

In my opinion it's a long way from Saxmundham to Welney when there are lots of other places nearer, ie in Suffolk, like sizewell beach, aldeburgh, southwold and another day at Minsmere. I can't imagine there's anything at Welney that's not at Minsmere, unless a rarity turns up.

I am going to speak to the sites this morning. Has anyone been recently? Has the flooding and heavy rain reduced the worth of going at this time?

cheers

dave

I am going to speak to the sites this morning. Has anyone been recently? Has the flooding and heavy rain reduced the worth of going at this time?

cheers

dave
i was at minsmere today flooding not a problem plenty of birds about had good views ofmarsh harrier, bittern, bearded tit, common and green sandpiper and many more look out for the little terns on the beach
cheers

Dave,

Last weekend at Welney only two hides were open due to flooding and not much was about, might be worth give them a ring!

Pete :news:

I went to the Blythburgh estuary today, not far from Minsmere. Park opposite the White Hart pub in Blythburgh. Peregrine, little egrets, 3+ Whimbrel, Spotted Redshank and 2 knot in near summer plumage.
Offshore from Sizewell power station would be worth a look also, plenty of terns no doubt and a few Arctic Skuas have been in the area.
I really like Welney, but this time of year there wouldnt be a great deal to see, and access would be limited due to the flooding.
Dunwich heath for Dartford Warblers. Tree pipits maybe?
Hope this helps, Suffolk rocks!

cheers all.

giving welney a miss as the electric wheel chair is only available on sunday at minsmere. so it will be sightseeing and shopping saturday, minsmere sunday and then home.

for information John Lewis doing a discounted sat nav "Road Angel" down from £200 to £100. It arives Thursday in time for my Suffolk adventures.

dave

Try Dunwich (National Trust) - they have electric scooters for hire - not sure if you can book them over the phone - we turned up and used one a couple of years ago. We have used them in the past and they are excellent through the heathland. Dunwich heath fgood for Dartford warblers etc

I am off to Minsmere tomorrow so will update you on the dampness there and what's about!
Claire

Thanx Claire. If you are there Sunday and see a limping hobbling ugly guy pushing a chair with a pretty lady in it that will be ME or US!!

Apparently the forecast is good for Friday so we may pop along there Friday as soon as we get to the area.

Let us know how it is and what you think please.

dave

Had a great day there today. Bit muddy in places but not too bad.

Managed to see 5 lifers - Marsh Tit, Bearded Tit, Common Sandpiper , Black Tern and Little Gull. Plenty going on around the Scrape and Island Mere Hides. Unfortunately the Common Sandpiper got caught by a Sparrowhawk this afternoon so chances of seeing him/her there are nil!!!
Bitterns were flying around lots (3 new nests apparently). Best seen from outside the West Hide on the Scrape flying accross the reedbed. Plenty of Sand Martins, Swallows, Green Woodpeckers, Marsh Harriers, Little Egrets, Terns (L, C & S), mixed flocks of tits through the woods. Great day, weather was nice and sunny with a bit of a breeze (no rain which was great!).

Just to let you know that Thu and Fri is the Lowestoft Air Show - not sure where you are coming in from but traffic will be mega through Lowestoft both days. Sat and Sun there is a Boat GP out at sea and a motorbike cavalcade on Sun through the town! Not sure if the planes will affect the birds at Minsmere or not Friday?!?

Have fun

Claire

Oops, air shows, fetes and carnivals.

Am travelling up from Hi Wycombe Bucks, aiming to leave 9 am'ish, arriving 12 noon 'ish.

I will make a note of the dates and events you mentioned, and try to avoid those locations, thanx.

dave

Thanx to all who made any suggestions orbservations about my weekend away.

Had a fantastic time at Minsmere Friday afternoon and Sunday middayish.

Hobby seen eating on the wing, Marsh Harriers, Bitterne in flight, Little Egret, Dab Chick and young, Stint, Godwits, Pipers, Litrl;e terns, 2 x Kittiwake, I could go on and on.

A wonderful wonderful weekend. The Minsmere "Birds seen" update sheet available at reception gives you the birds that have been seen that day, and I was able to tick off most of them. Never seen so many birds in one place.

And the litle owls on the way home after an evening meal was the icing on the cake.

dave

loved it so much, going back this to minsmere this weekend and to check out the local housing market.

so much space, lovely people and so much to do in suffolk.

dave

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back