• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mexico City August 2004 (1 Viewer)

lassa8

United States
I'm going to be in and around Mexico City in early August this summer for part of the research I'm doing this summer, and I was hoping I might have the chance to see a few birds while I'm down there. What can I expect to see? What's a good guide for the area? Any suggestions?

Lots of rain . . . middle of the summer monsoon!

Sorry, not sure what birds you'll get. In the city itself, not many other than ground doves (not sure which species!), from what I once read.

Michael

Lassa8,
Mexico City is probably not the dream destination for birdwatching in Mexico, but there are a good few to see. Michael was probably referring to the Inca Dove which is pretty common there (and a beautiful bird).

The best references I can recommend are the 'Field Guide to Birds of Mexico and Northern Central America' by S. Howell & S. Webb, as well as their 'Finding Birds in Mexico' (or something like that) book. The latter gives a number of proposed sites around Mexico City and species list that they have seen there.

You can also go the the Avibase web site and print out a checklist of birds for the "Distrito Federal" under the Mexican options which is Mexico City.

I'm leaving for Mexico City next weekend (after spending most of the week in and around Santa Fe, NM) and I was just wondering if there was any chance at all that I might see a vermillion flycatcher in or around Mexico City? We'll be spending most of our time at CIMMYT, which I believe is a bit north of the city, but we'll also be spending a day in some maize fields about 2 hours south of Mexico City. Any last minute pointers? Thanks a lot!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back