• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Messingham Sand Quarries: 02-06-04 (1 Viewer)

intellectual

England
Hello,

I'm back from illness, not quite there but almost. As you probably know MSQ is buzzing today with birders hoping to see the Little Bittern, never seen the car park so full since last years Open Day!

Neither me nor my regular birding friend were interested in the LB, all we wanted was an hour or three of relaxation and what better place than MSQ.

I certainly didn't want to walk too far and neither did my pal. Those hoping to see the LB had to walk a lot further than us.

We'd both taken a flask of hot drink and a sandwich.

We went to the Grebe Hide first and this is what we saw:

Kingfisher - 2 [most likely a pair, they were sat next to each other on a twig]
Common Tern - 2
Sand Martins
Pair of Mute Swans + 5 juvs
Coot + 4 juvs
Swallow - 3 [sat on pylon cable]
Lapwing
Moorhen

Then we went to sit on a seat named after Joe Duddleston, here we had a drink and a bite to eat. Sat here quite a while, a few birders came past asking if we had seen the LB. While sat here we watched a pair of Great Tits feeding their juvs, then a pair of Wrens landed within feet of us, but behind us for a start, then they flew to the right and then to the left, having fun.
Also saw Swifts, Woodies, Chaffinch and a Long-tailed Tit.

On the way back we saw a another pair of Mute Swans + 1 juv, Coot + 1 juv and a Grey Heron.

We both enjoyed the sunshine and fresh air plus a little exercise!

Regards

Hi intellectual,

Finally got to MSQ, the day before the Little Bittern!

Gotta say, I'm really impressed. Didn't make it to the Wader hide, which I guess is the most northerly, as it was nothing like I expected, and we just ambled round, trying to catch some shade.

birdman said:
Hi intellectual,

Finally got to MSQ, the day before the Little Bittern!

Gotta say, I'm really impressed. Didn't make it to the Wader hide, which I guess is the most northerly, as it was nothing like I expected, and we just ambled round, trying to catch some shade.

Hi Dave,

So you finally made it, even better still you enjoyed the place.
Did you see the Sand Martins, I guess that is a daft question, as they are all over the reserve?

According to a pal who was at MSQ today, few got to see the LB. And I think he said that yesterday someone went out onto the marsh and deliberately FLUSHED it out, now that is downright naughty. They need a dose of you-know-what!!

I hope you will be coming back to the reserve.It is the Open Day on the 27th June, from 10:00 - 16:00. I went last year and more than 150 turned out.

Cheers
John

Hi John...

I am embarrassed to say I didn't spot a single Sand Martin whilst I was there. In my defence (if I can possibly have any defence) Monday was such a gloriously bright day, that I spent most of my time shading my eyes! In the woods I was paying too much attention to the trees, from the hides, I was concentrating on the water... Am I digging out or deeper!!!

I asked my partner if she had seen any as we were leaving, and she said she'd seen loads of "martins" but didn't say anything 'cos she figured I'd seen them and they were House Martins.

27th sounds good... I'll try to make sure the calendar's clear. We're both definitely up for a trip back.

birdman said:
Hi John...

I am embarrassed to say I didn't spot a single Sand Martin whilst I was there. In my defence (if I can possibly have any defence) Monday was such a gloriously bright day, that I spent most of my time shading my eyes! In the woods I was paying too much attention to the trees, from the hides, I was concentrating on the water... Am I digging out or deeper!!!

I asked my partner if she had seen any as we were leaving, and she said she'd seen loads of "martins" but didn't say anything 'cos she figured I'd seen them and they were House Martins.

27th sounds good... I'll try to make sure the calendar's clear. We're both definitely up for a trip back.

Hi Dave,

Best place usually to see the sand martins is from the Grebe Hide [the one nearest the car park] they nest in the sandbank, just to the left although the reeds have almost covered the holes. We saw two kingfishers sat next to the sandbank and one went in a hole, so fingers crossed.

Let me know nearer the date if your likely to be at the Open Day, who knows we may just meet up for a chin-wag. If I can keep healthy I'll be there.

Cheers
John

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back