• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Massachussetts (1 Viewer)

Personally.... I'm much more of a casual birder, who wants to get more serious. I've seen a fare number of birds over the years, but now I want to see the harder to find... more elusive birds. And that requires figuring out where they are!

I can say that I've never heard of or seen a while cardnal, so I am definitely interested in seeing a picture. When you post it in your gallories, please post something here so I know you've put it up. That sounds like a very interesting bird.

Hope you find this place a fun one. From my limited experience, they people are nice and very helpful.

Eric

what made this nest?

Hi, I know pretty much nothing, so bear with me.

A few weeks ago, when I was mowing my lawn, I noticed a bird had built a nest beneath the underhang of one of my sheds. I took a picture later to see what was in the nest, it's a bit to high for me to see into. I was surprised to see a renegade egg in the nest. I did some searches and I guess it's a cowbird egg (please let me know if I am wrong about that). I looked again earlier this week and found that the eggs had hatched, but also found that the nest had half separated from my shed and looked pretty precarious. With the help of my son, we did a quick repair to the nest, which the mother didn't seem to mind too much.

Can you tell me what kind of nest this is? I attached a couple of pictures of the nest and a real fuzzy picture of the mother.

Thanks

Attachments

• eggs.jpg
    eggs.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 220
  • NestJuly19.jpg
    NestJuly19.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 203
  • MotherJul19_2.jpg
    MotherJul19_2.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 259
Welcome to Bird Forum!

Just a suggestion, but I think you will get a better response if you repost this on the Bird Identification Q & A forum above. There are alot of experts that frequent it. Both the nest and the bird have me stumped. The nest location favors Eastern Phoebes or Barn Swallows, but the latter bird has a mud constructed nest. And the bird you show looks like some kind of swallow.

Cordially,
Bob

Last edited:
Thanks. After I made the post, I noticed that nobody had posted for about 4 years. I'll redo the post elsewhere. At first I thought it was a barn swallow, they used to nest in my father's barn, but like you said, their nests were more mud. I'll try in the forum you suggest.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back