• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mara North - October 2023 - Day1 continued (1 Viewer)

AndyS56

A few more from my first full day in the Mara.
By image reference, my best efforts are:
0456: A variety of Lark;
0531: ?
0570: Crested Lark;
0778: Francolin of some sort?
0852: Shrike? but which species?
0863: Red-necked Spurfowl.

TIA

Andy

Attachments

• _L3A0456-Enhanced-NR.jpg
    _L3A0456-Enhanced-NR.jpg
    404.5 KB · Views: 44
  • _L3A0531.jpg
    _L3A0531.jpg
    585.5 KB · Views: 44
  • _L3A0570.jpg
    _L3A0570.jpg
    442.4 KB · Views: 34
  • _L3A0778.jpg
    _L3A0778.jpg
    437.5 KB · Views: 33
  • _L3A0852-Enhanced-NR.jpg
    _L3A0852-Enhanced-NR.jpg
    369.2 KB · Views: 26
  • _L3A0863-Enhanced-NR.jpg
    _L3A0863-Enhanced-NR.jpg
    413.8 KB · Views: 41
0456: Not a variety of lark; note bill.
0531: A pipit
0570: A lark
0778: Red-necked spurfowl
0852: (Common?) fiscal shrike
0863: Red-necked spurfowl

Admit it it looks more like a slightly weird pipit to me... Certainly not what is associate with a "standard" lark in the Mara
The face and markings are perfect for Rufous-naped. The bill may be a little on the thin side, but it's not a pipit bill. And pipits don't often perch on the top of a bush, do they?

And incidentally, 570 could just be a Rufous-naped with its crest up. It doesn't look like Red-capped to me.

The face and markings are perfect for Rufous-naped. The bill may be a little on the thin side, but it's not a pipit bill. And pipits don't often perch on the top of a bush, do they?

And incidentally, 570 could just be a Rufous-naped with its crest up. It doesn't look like Red-capped to me.
For me bill looks really too thin for a lark. Besides African and Plain Backed Pipit (which I guess are the two possibilities here if we exclude the possibility of a lark) are rather thick billed for pipits...

About 570, I think there's too much rufous on the sides of the chest and dark bill fits Red Capped more than Rufous Naped...Overall appearance is more Calandrella than Mirafra like to me.

0456 Don't be silly, it's not a Mirafra with that bill and long tail now is it? No-one has mentioned the bill is deformed, mandibles are crossed at the tip. Anyway, It's quite clearly a pipit, possibly Plain-backed
0570 Red-capped Lark as already suggested. Since when did Rufous-naped have a complete rufous cap, rufous pectorals, black bill and long tail etc?

Sorry, my post crossed with Vals.

Grahame

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back