• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Manitoba, Carman, Stepehensfield, Fort Whyte Center (1 Viewer)

Craig S

Carman 13-22 August

It appears that the Brown thrashers have departed in the past week or so.
I have noticed more of the year round birds returning to our feeders in the last little while.
Wasps became a real problem in the last week. They were swarming our Oriole feeder which they were able to enter the nectar reservoir with ease. This swarming also transferred to our Humming Bird feeder.
Our solution was to install a Wasp trap, which in the end turned out to double as a Wasp feeder. It trapped and killed about 8 Wasps but many more flew in and flew out. The numbers indicated they were feeding from the trap. Added some dish soap, which is supposed to kill them, but that just deterred them from entering the Wasp trap.
Our solution was to replace the Oriole feeder with a new patented Bee proof feeder made by Opus. It would seem they should have patented it as an Oriole proof feeder as well. The Orioles could not get their beaks through the patented feeder slots. I cut the slots a little larger and one Oriole seemed to get something from it, but, the Orioles have returned a number of times but do not seem to get enough nectar, perhaps none at all. They slowly dropped off from 4 at a time to the occasional single bird visiting, pecking at the peanut feeder and leaving.
The patented Bee proof feeder ports seemed to have worked as the number of Wasps attending the Oriole feeder dropped off to none over a few days.
We picked up a new Humming bird feeder at the same time by Perky Pet. We chose it because it had a glass reservoir and perchs for the birds to rest their weary bones while feeding, and it was quite attractive.
In hind sight I should have disassembled it to see how it worked. A new design, kind of high tech for a bird feeder. The result of this design is that it uses a two piece base so when you put nectar into it the base fills and immediately starts to dribble from the seam where the two pieces of the base join together. A Wasps delight. The two Hummingbirds that regularly attend the feeder were in a constant battle with the Wasps, up to six at a time.
We have replaced the new feeder with the old feeder. This diminished the number of Wasps in attendance immediately. We also smeared the bottom of the feeder with hand soap. This seems to deter the Wasps a little.
We also bought a Perky Pet sectional feeding pole last year. It fell over in the spring when the single dime sized spot weld, that attaches the pole to the base, broke. We had it welded at Wes’s Tire here in town for $5.00. This weld goes around half the pole so it is unlikely to break again in my lifetime, although I might have to warn my grand children to watch as it might rust through in their lifetime.
If any of the brains at Perky Pet read this they might want to consider testing their products before putting them on the market.
I’ve attached pictures of the Hummingbird and Oriole feeders in question. I’ve drawn a blue line where the two piece joins together.
I had mistakenly identified the Oriole feeder as being from Perky Pet when it is actually from Opus. We had thrown out the box and feeder, so I looked up the feeder on the sellers website which identified it as being Perky Pet. I have thus edited my post.

Sightings:
Palm Warbler
Mallard
House Sparrow
Chickadee
Ruby Throated Hummingbird
Oriole
Magpie
Crow
Starling
Great Blue Heron
White Breasted Nuthatch
Robin
Pine Siskin
Mourning Dove
Downy woodpecker
Purple Finch
House Finch
Unidentified Grebe

Fort Whyte Center 19 August

Double Crested Cormorant
Song Sparrow
Mallard
Unidentified Hawk
Magpie
Crow
Eastern Kingbird
Canada Geese
Cedar Wax Wing
Wood Duck
Belted Kingfisher
California Gull
Common Yellowthroat
American Black duck
Gold Finch
Purple Finch

Stephenfield 20 August

Pied Billed Grebe
Red Winged Blackbird
California Gull
Red Tailed Hawk
Gold Finch
Yellow Warbler
Barn Swallow
Mourning Dove
Bank Swallow

This week we are going to drive to St Ambroise, about 80 miles from here, as they have a decent sized marsh with a viewing tower. Hope to add to our bird list and get some good photo’s.

Attachments

• oriole feeder resize.jpg
    oriole feeder resize.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 60
  • 040 hummingbird feeder resize.jpg
    040 hummingbird feeder resize.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 56
  • 031 Baltimore Oriole resize.jpg
    031 Baltimore Oriole resize.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Perky Pet responds

Hi Craig, I am in Marketing at Perky-Pet and read your post (even before the email was sent to me - which most likely went to our Consumer Care group). I am very sorry that you experienced difficulty with the Oriole Feeder and Hummingbird Feeder. The Opus Oriole feeder has been in the market for quite a few years and this is the first I've heard of concerns around the Orioles not being able to feed. I will definitely check into this.

We are aware of the issue that you described in your post on the Top Fill Feeder. There was an issue with the O-Ring on the lid of the feeder. It can be corrected by removing the O-ring, lubricating the O-ring with vegetable oil and then putting it back on. We have corrected the issue with a new O-ring that allows the lid to hold the seal and create the vacuum seal that is needed with a Top Fill Feeder. We've added instructions on our web site. If you've sent an email, I am sure the Consumer Care department will be in touch with you soon.

Here is the link - http://www.birdfeeders.com/store/hum...rd-feeders/228

I am very sorry for the inconvenience - I'd be happy to send you a different Oriole feeder and Hummingbird feeder. We have a very large selection of high quality feeders to choose from.

Karolyn

My response to Perky Pet

Thank you for your quick response Karolyn.
I would have contacted Perky Pet directly before posting but I was unable to find Perky Pet other than retailers. As you can see in one of the posts Geni3 directed me to your site. I was unable to read the tiny writing on the label on the bottom of the Hummingbird feeder.
The Hummingbird feeder was good until the second time I filled it, then it started to dribble from the seams, talk about wasps. I retrieved it as I was concerned the hummingbirds would get stung and managed only one sting myself. I disassembled the feeder but couldn't see anything wrong. I replaced it with our old feeder. Last night I tried filling it again, with water thankfully, and as soon as I put the top on the reservoir drained into the base. The water came through the seams again but this time it spurted from all the feeding ports as well.
We still have the hummingbird feeder but we threw the top of the Oriole feeder away and are using the base on top of our feeding pole to hold peanuts for the Blue Jays.
I would really like to exchange the Hummingbird Feeder if possible.
The Oriole feeder just did not work, got the Orioles to go to it but they were unable to get any nectar. We used to get up to 4 at a time. We now get the occasional Oriole. They stopped going to the Oriole feeder and try to feed from the Hummingbird feeder or nibble on the peanuts.
We were unable to return the feeders as the boxes went for recycling the day after we bought the feeders.
If it is possible to get an exchange on the Oriole feeder we would appreciate it, but we have discarded the top for it.
Thanks again for your prompt attention.

Hi Karolyn

The hummingbird and oriole feeders arrived this morning.
We wanted to thank you so very much for replacing the feeders, the Oriole Feeder is exactly what we were looking for but couldn't find it here and the hummingbird feeder is very attractive, within 5 minutes of putting it out our lady hummingbird was feeding from it.
Sadly I think our orioles have departed for the season, haven't seen one for almost a week now. I'm hoping we will get at least one more Oriole before we have to take it down for the winter.
We are very impressed with the level of service we have received from you and have had our faith restored.
Thank you once again we couldn't be happier.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back