• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Manitoba, Carman and area (1 Viewer)

Craig S

This past week has been a slow one for birding.
Have walked the trail everyday and have seen very little.
Today we saw numerous Canada Geese heading north, also saw the usual birds, Nuthatches, Blue Jays, Chickadees, Dark Eyed Juncos, Robins, a hawk, Crows, Sparrows, Goldfinches, Pine Siskins, Downy and Hairy Woodpeckers. We got some photos of a male and female Wood Duck on the river. We may even have seen some Boreal Chickadees way up in the trees We heard the Pileated Woodpecker call close by a few times but didn't see it.
One of the things we saw and heard, for the first time, this past week as the river level has been dropping is the ice on one large section of the river has been heaving and cracking. You can see the difference everyday. One day while looking at the ice we saw and heard a crack shoot down the ice, was pretty impressive. As we walk along the river we can hear it cracking and heaving, lots of unusual sounds from loud cracks to whooshes and zipping noises.
Also managed to take a good tumble in the mud today while walking and looking up into the trees. Thankfully my cameras survived and I am none the worse for wear.
Our bird feeders are not nearly so busy now, mostly House Sparrows and infrequent visits by the other birds who were regulars through the winter.
Checked the camcorder for the expected stunning Wood Duck video, it was not there!!! What was there was a very brief mish mash of colour. So I am thinking that I did not press record to start the video and the brief mish mash is me pressing record to stop the recording then powering down the camera. Wonder if Spielberg started off like this.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back