• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca/Menorca (1 Viewer)

Eva

I am planning a week in early April for Mallorca or Menorca. Has anybody been birding on these islands and could recommend where exactly to go?
Thanks for any infos - also maybe reasonable stays.

You can buy a book from Helm from the 'Where to Watch Birds' series, there is one dedicated to these islands and they are very good.

Eva

Welcome to Bird Forum! I hope you have a great time holidaying, and do tell us all about the birds you see.

Hi Eva, I've visited Mallorca twice, once in late April and once in late September, both times the birdwatching was fantastic... even seeing birds like Egyptian Vulture, Red rumped swallow and Booted Eagle from the Hotel balcony!
A couple of the best sites are the Albufera marsh and the Bocquer Valley.
Another book I can highly recomend is "A Birdwatching Guide To Mallorca" by Graham Hearl and Jon King.
At the moment I'm trying to book another holliday in Mallorca- this time in late August.

I'll second Johnny1's advice.

I have both the books by Graham Hearl
A Birdwatching Guide to Menorca, Ibiza & Formentera ISBN 1 900159 20 1 and
A Birdwatching Guide to Mallorca ISBN 09522019 76

I got the off Amazon for just a few pounds each. They ae well worth having.

Another excellent book that I picked up whilst in Menorca is The Birds of Minorca by Enric Ramos ISBN 84 273 0761 96 It lists every bird seen in Minorca where and when it's likely to be seen. There are 44 birding locations mentioned though the other guides above are better for locations.

If you end up in Majorca then Albufuera near to Alcudia and Puerto Pollensa are about the top areas.

Hi Johnny 1,
where exactly did you stay - booted eagle from the hotel balcony, that sounds too good to be true.
Thanks all for the book infos I try to get a copy of the Graham Hearl one.

Eva the first time I visited Mallorca staying at Puerto Pollensa (the beach here is good for Audouins gull) If I remember correctly the hotel was called the Panama? it was quite close to the Pollensa park hotel the main hotel in Puerto Pollensa, it was only a 3 storey building so wasn't that high. Looking at my notes I allso had night and purple heron from the balcony and Fan tailed warblers in the hotel garden.
On the second visit I stayed nearer the Albufera marsh in Alcudia where the view from the balcony wasn't as productive.
The hotel we tried to book for August this year is already fully booked so we're having to look for alternatives.

EVA BASE YOURSELF IN ALCUDIA MAJORCA IT IS CENTRAL TO THE BEST SITES, IF U BUY THE BOOK MENTIONED EARLIER YO WILL FIND THESE SITES QUITE EASILY. GOOD BIRDING ANDY

Eva

I had a fantastic time in Majorca in 1997. I went in May and had some wonderful birds. Everyone has told you to base yourself on the northern end of the island and i don't blame them but I based myself at Porto Colom and whilst I did have to travel to get to the northern parts by doing so it brought the east and south eastern areas closer to me. There is one area that you must visit if you can. It is called Selina De Levanti and is a series of salt pans. It is just outside the port of Colonia de San Jordi on the far south eastern corner of Majorca. Whilst talking about that area, check out if you can get a ferry over to the isle of Cabrera. You catch it from that port. Make sure that you are allowed to wander around there first as I had a bit of trouble when I went over. If you can get over there it can turn up almost anything. also on the way over is a Eleonora's Falcon colony (or there was in 97) Shearwaters and all manner of Seagull can be seen on the trip over. The only thing is that you might not be able to take your camera onto the island as it is / or was, a military garrison.

Albufeira Marsh has been mentioned but check out the Albufeira Depudora (waterworks) It is on the far eastern end of the marshes and has / or did, have a superbly positioned hide that looks over a series of filter beds and marshes. The amount of raptors you can see from there can be amazing.

The Arta mountain area ( north East corner of the island) is another good area than can turn up anything. Check out any pools, or water, you might come across on any roads in this area. Stop the car and use as a hide and you might be pleasantly surprised at what might drop down.

Cuber reservoir for Black Vulture plus Spectacled Warbler is another must go area if you have the time. Cabo de Formenter (which sticks right out to sea above Puerto de Pollensa) is excellent for seawatching and many passerines in the tree lined road. One tip for this road. Go early as it gets very busy.

There are many more places that you will find yourself. I can thoroughly recommend a holiday there. It is just great for a birdwatcher. For instance. There is a river that comes out of Albufeira marshes and enters the sea by Alcudia. Unusually we had a couple hours rest on this very flat beach. Not long after we arrived an Osprey stayed right by us checking out the waterline for any fish, occasionally dropping but never catching anything. I had forgotten about that but it was a superb spectacle.

All in all there is a wealth of birdlife to see and easy places to go to see them. Enjoy!!

The north-east is certainly scenic. we have stayed in Cala Bona for the last ten years. Plenty of birds around there too just by walking the back roads. Plenty of Hoopoe, Stonechat, Sardinian Warbler and butterflies and a Cattle Egret last year. We saw several Crossbill especially on a day trip to Cala Ratjada and a walk up to the lighthouse. The trip passes through the area that John mentions at Arta.

We stayed at Alcudia a few years back, which was ideal for the marshes, especially if you're based in the eastern end of the resort around Los Gaviatos.

Personally though I prefer Minorca for the bird life as the whole island is a nature reserve and abounds with bird life. Everywhere you go you will see raptors of all sorts. We usually stay in Cala Galdana, about the prettiest bay on the isalnds with a useful little book that details numerous shot walks from the resort though the surrounding forests, cliffs and bays.

Thank you all very much for your useful advice - it sounds quite exciting and I feel like going right now. I didn´t really think you could find so much nature on an islands that is one of the centres of mass tourism.
I am going to check out offers at the travel agents and see if I end up in Mallorca or Menorca.
But I will let you know about the birds I saw as soon as I am back.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back