• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Malaria (1 Viewer)

Hi,
me and my friends are going to visit Philippines - almost all bigger islands for watching birds. Our trip starts 27. November and we want to come back on 24. January. Please does someone know actual situation of distribution of malaria on Philippines?

Alena Rulfová

Alena

I think you would have to be very unlucky to get Malaria in the Philippines. Perhaps rural Palawan, the only place I would consider taking prophylactic anti-malarials. However, others may be more cautious. I've never had any problems in four visits to all of the main islands (inc twice on Palawan).

Cheers, alan

Alena

I think you would have to be very unlucky to get Malaria in the Philippines. Perhaps rural Palawan, the only place I would consider taking prophylactic anti-malarials. However, others may be more cautious. I've never had any problems in four visits to all of the main islands (inc twice on Palawan).

Cheers, alan

Thank You very much for Your message. I´m afraid of Luzon, becaouse we wont to travel to the north of this island. So do You think, that it is also OK?

Alena

I haven't birded in N Luzon but this year I have birded in coastal Luzon, ( Balanga and Subic) Negros Oriental & Occidental and Cebu. I use a proprietary repellent , "Off", and wear long sleeves and long trousers. Use coils and sleep under mosquito nets where necessary. So far so good. I live in Thailand and same here. So far so good. I took anti-malarials about 10 years ago and didn't get on well with them; depression and feeling down. Will never use them again. There has been a high incidence of dengue in both countries too this year. These mosquitos are common near still water. I would suggest common sense, prevention and repellent would be more than adequate. You will probably be more likely to experience a traffic accident or some other mishap.

I haven't birded in N Luzon but this year I have birded in coastal Luzon, ( Balanga and Subic) Negros Oriental & Occidental and Cebu. I use a proprietary repellent , "Off", and wear long sleeves and long trousers. Use coils and sleep under mosquito nets where necessary. So far so good. I live in Thailand and same here. So far so good. I took anti-malarials about 10 years ago and didn't get on well with them; depression and feeling down. Will never use them again. There has been a high incidence of dengue in both countries too this year. These mosquitos are common near still water. I would suggest common sense, prevention and repellent would be more than adequate. You will probably be more likely to experience a traffic accident or some other mishap.

Great, thank You very much for the informations! :) And can You recomand me some name of a repelent?

It is quite difficult to buy in the Philippines but I used stuff I bought in Thailand which is called "OFF"' you can get it in the Philippines but not everywhere. Works fine. Alternatively bring some with you but keeping your limbs covered is probably the most imprtant thing to do!

It is quite difficult to buy in the Philippines but I used stuff I bought in Thailand which is called "OFF"' you can get it in the Philippines but not everywhere. Works fine. Alternatively bring some with you but keeping your limbs covered is probably the most imprtant thing to do!

Thank You very much again! :)

Alena

Hi,

DO take tablets for Palawan as it's a high risk zone. Two birders died from Malaria on/after a visit to Palawan in recent history... just to convince you if that would be necessary.
Malarone does rarely have any side effects. Not cheap though.

Otherwise might be fine elsewhere in Philippines, low risk and using your repellents etc. should do.

I've spent more time on Philippines than anywhere else in the last year and never took tablets, (neither visited Palawan) and no problems whatsoever. Just good birds, friendly people, easy going...

Don't forget the info pages on Subic and Bohol on our website!

Best wishes,

I think you are OK away from Palawan (and Tawi Tawi/Sulu, where you are unlikely to go anyway). If the local pharmacies stock malaria pills it is because there is local demand and vice versa. I had malaria symptoms after one visit to Palawan some years back but I self-treated. Falciparum malaria can kill within 48 hours of symptoms so having it checked first is not necessarily a good option. More recently I had 6 days in hospital in Manila with dengue, most likely caught in the Sierra Madre. I used OFF but it was not effective for more than a few minutes, even lathered on.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back