• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Macronectes tinae sp. nov. (1 Viewer)

Björn Bergenholtz

(former alias "Calalp")
Sweden
Here's a quick post regarding the recently described ...

tinae as in:
•The (Late Pliocene) Giant Petrel Macronectes tinae TENNYSSON & SALVADOR 2023 (link to OD here):
Etymology: The specific epithet honours Tina King, the late partner of fossil collector Alastair Johnson. This giant petrel skull was her favourite fossil, hence the homage.
Who she was/is? I haven't got a clue ...

Neither do I know, nor understand (by the dedication above), if she's truly "late" (as in deceased), or if she's 'only' late, as in the capacity of being a late/former partner (alt. a collecting colleague/companion) of Alastair Johnson. :unsure:

Who knows? [*]

However, the amateur fossil hunter Alastair 'Al' Johnson, himself was/is apparently commemorated in the Common name, and in the Generic name Aldiomedes (of the New Zealand, extinct/subfossil) species Alastair’s albatross Aldiomedes angustirostris MAYR & TENNYSON 2019.

Given how distinctive the new skull is, we have named it as a new genus and species Aldiomedes angustirostris: The taxon is named in honor of Alastair (‘Al’) Johnson; the second part of the name refers to ‘Diomedes’, the Greek mythological figure, after which the albatross family was named. The species epithet is derived from the Latin ‘angustus’ meaning narrow, and ‘rostrum’ meaning beak.

[all according to Tennyson himself here]

Also, re. the latter Bird, and Mr Johnson, see here.

Enjoy!

Björn

* I would think that Paul (Scofield) ought to know, as it's on his "home turf" (in his vicinity, as well as topic/subject) ...?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back