• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lundy Island and any other South West Puffin suggestions (1 Viewer)

Graham_H

Hello all,

I'm sadly heading back to Australia towards the end of June and am checking out the pheasability of a trip to Lundy before I leave. I live in Bristol, so it's not too far a distance to the departure towns.

On my 'bucket list' before I go is to get to see and photograph puffins. I believe that Lundy is a good spot for them, but I would like to visit the island anyway.

Can anyone please offer advice on their experience of basic accommodation - I'm happy to 'rough it' for a couple of nights.

Thanks for any advice,
Graham

Hi
Info on Lundy Island accommodation can be found at http://www.lundyisland.co.uk/ Most of the accommodation is of quite a good standard (it's run by the Landmark Trust), but there is limited availability if you want a single room, except for camping when the only limit is on the numbers staying on the island. There is a shop there if you want to buy food to cook, otherwise the Marisco Tavern does meals and real ales. You also need to add £62 to the cost for the ferry.
As far as puffins go, they are "quite" hard to see, www.lundyisland.co.uk/pdf/bird_leaflet.pdf might be of some use, but it would possibily be better to contact the warden for up-to-date info. There is a bird log book in the Tavern which generally has pretty recent sightings.
Have fun
Tony

Last edited:
Lundy isn't really a 'good' spot for puffins. You might see a handful but you'd be much better off on Skokholm or Skomer (Pembrokeshire, not that much further than Bideford from Bristol) where the puffins number in the thousands.

There's also a small puffin colony at Dancing Ledge in Dorset, which you can visit without having to get on a boat!

However, don't let me put you off going to Lundy, it is a fantastic place for wildlife, scenery and atmosphere. When we went, we camped in the campsite and ate in the pub, but the facilities (showers/toilets) were absolutely fine as I remember.

Not sure on facilities on Skomer, but Skolkholm is extremely basic, but clean and pleasant. I think you can do day trips to Skomer, but not to Skolkholm. You can also do day trips to Lundy. But it's worth staying overnight on any of these islands for the Manx Shearwaters, an awesome experience.

So basically, the easiest way to see and get close to lots of puffins is a day trip to Skomer, but you should be able to get small numbers either on the mainland or on Lundy.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back