• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lower Test/Eling/Redbridge (1 Viewer)

pdwinter

Paul Winter
This morning from Redbridge Wharf 07:50-09:00 (rising tide)

Black-tailed Godwit 126 (my best ever count here - probably spring passage)
Only other waders were 2 Curlews and 2 Oystercatchers

Med Gull 1 smart adult

Shelduck 3 prs

Sightings 14/03

Redbridge Wharf 07:30-09:00

Med Gull 1 Adult
Common Gull 50
Peregrine 1 north at 07:58
Greylag 1 south at 08:14
Shelduck 8
Chiffchaff 1 (surprisingly my first of the year)

Lower Test 09:15-12:00

Cetti's Warbler 6 singing
Green Sandpiper 1 (scrape)
Common Sandpiper 4 (11:30 from the old bridge)
Seen by warden on webs count - 22 Water Pipit - unfortunately about as far from the footpaths as possible.

Cheers

Sightings 27/03/2009

Two Adult Med Gulls flew in to the mud in front of Redbridge Wharf around 06:55. The most I've ever seen here!

LTM 28th and 29th March

Yesterday:
Common Sandpiper
Several Chiffchaffs and Cettis singing
Water Pipit 20 (under the pylon near the Test Way, where they always used to be)
Pale Buzzard perched on a Osprey tree
Swallow 4 (flew along the river in the evening)

Today (A quick stopover on the way to the shops):
Buzzard 7 (one perched on a different Osprey tree)
Peregrine 1 (seem to be scarcer this year)

David

Osprey LTM

An Osprey flew in and settled on the dead tree opposite the echo office at
12 Oclock and stayed until at least 13:30 when I left. Viewed from the start of the Test Way boardwalk, also 3 Water Pipits near the pylons
Regards Den

An Osprey flew in and settled on the dead tree opposite the echo office at
12 Oclock and stayed until at least 13:30 when I left. Viewed from the start of the Test Way boardwalk, also 3 Water Pipits near the pylons
Regards Den

Thanks for the info, Den. Managed to get there after work just as the Osprey was flying off!

Cheers

Osprey still 1/4

The Osprey was present in a dead tree in the centre of the reserve viewed from the Echo Office until 09:35ish when it headed off and was circling high above Testwood Lakes 09:40. I had to go to work so I don't know what happened next!

A Peregrine harrassed the Osprey briefly. One Swallow north.

Good Birding

First Sedge Warbler (3/4)

Walked down the top edge of the Lower Test reserve (Mill Lane, Nursling) early(ish) morning and apart from 14 Chiffchaffs and 3 Blackcaps it was a migrant free zone! When I got to Little Testwood Lake there was a Sedge Warbler singing at the top of a bush by the pumping station. It's my earliest ever although one year I had a Reed Warbler at Lower Test on 3rd April which is probably relatively earlier on a species basis.

Good Birding

Sightings 25/7

17 Yellow-legged Gulls on the marsh from the old bridge at Lower Test this morning - and another 2 from Redbridge Wharf. 2 Common Sandpipers were the only other birds of note.

17 Yellow-legged Gulls on the marsh from the old bridge at Lower Test this morning - and another 2 from Redbridge Wharf. 2 Common Sandpipers were the only other birds of note.

I must have just missed you - there was little of note on the rest of the reserve - not a single sandpiper of any description. There were a few Swifts, Hirundines and the usual warblers (7 species today, so not bad).

David

At last some migrants!

The bushes at Lower Test this morning were busy with small birds, including:
Chiffchaff 24+
Willow Warbler
Whitethroat 2+
Blackcap 8+
Redstart 1
Whinchat 1
Sedge Warbler 5
PIED FLYCATCHER 1 (nice to see one in Hampshire)

And a Little Egret with yellow legs (yes, it was a Little Egret)

David

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back