• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

London Parks and feral birds (1 Viewer)

lazza

I get down to London a few times a year on business, usually staying fairly centrally. So my birding exploits are usually limited to an early evening wander around one of the parks looking decidedly dodgy in my smart overcoat and binoculars...

Anyway, I was wondering what are the "listing" rules for the various feral species that I see.

So, I guess ring-necked parakeet - being a huge, sustainable feral population - is now considered naturalised and "listable" - yes?

And Egyptian goose is the same? Or are some Egyptian geese listable and some not? This week, there were several in St James's Park in among a lot of the (presumably) captive wildfowl. But I also saw a pair at Brentford dock which I guess were wild...

Then there are some other species. I saw free flying red-crested pochard over the pond at St James's Park this week. And recently, free-flying mandarin duck at Regent's park....

There's probably no final answer to this, but I'd welcome other birders' suggestions!

Regents park is always suspect because you do wonder what's "jumped the fence" from the collection. There is a blog somewhere on birding the park so that might be worth checking for advice.

St.James Park is just one big collection so I would avoid that for listing purposes.

Hyde Park has no collection so you could tick anything that turns up there I suppose. Depends on your own personal criteria. I think the RC Pochards found there are self sustained and the Egyptian Geese certainly are. A few years ago there was a long staying vagrant White Winged Black Tern on the serpentine that was definately tickable as were last years Bearded Tits.

I was there back in October and ticked the Egyptian Goose, Red-crested Pochard and the Parakeets so I'm interested in others thoughts on the matter also.

Damian

Are there still owls In Kensington gardens by any chance, heading to London for a weekend break on friday to get away wet and windy N.Ireland and would love to catch up with a Tawny Owl as we don't get them in Ireland at all (we are only starting to get a few breeding pairs of woodpeckers!!) any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back