• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Local Patch (1 Viewer)

RockyRacoon

The areas that make up my local patch are:

Brighton Marina
Castle Hill and nearby areas
The South Downs West of Brighton
Ladies Mile Local Nature Reserve
My School fields

Recent Birds at my School fields

Common Gulls have been numerous
I have heard a Goldcrest
A flock of Linnets
Three Redwings
Flocks of Pied Wagtails, possibly reaching 40+

Brighton Marina 5th + 6th of Feb

I got to the Marina at about 10:30, and went straight for the West Arm, I saw a few Carrion Crows, Starlings and a Pied Wagtails. I checked the beach in the inner harbour, and saw Herring Gulls, Black-headed Gulls and Common Gulls, no Med. Gull unfortunatly. However after watching the Mute Swans swimming around on the water a strange gull caught my attention, it flew straight towards me, revealing its identity as a 'white-winged' gull of some sort. It circled the outer harbour area and headed towards the inner habour, this is where I went next.
I walked through the harbour out onto the East Arm, I saw a Rock Pipit, Great Black-Backed Gull and a few Cormorants, just off the East arm I saw a single Guillmot, which soon came up onto the sea defence blocks, it was oiled. There was also a Razorbill nearby. From here started back towards the West Arm, on the way seeing a familiar bird... The 'white-winged' gull. I got good, lengthly views of the bird from here, flying overhead, it was attacked at times by two Herring Gulls. At this point I was edging towards the bird was an Iceland Gull, after taking notes on the shape and wing span.

The next day I arrived at the same time, and again went straight for the West Arm, hoping for an ID for the WW Gull. As soon as I looked out onto the beach I saw the bird perched on the sea defence blocks, it was soon obvious that the bird was second winter Iceland Gull. After the bird took off I saw a Rock pipit on the same beach, aswell as a Pied Wagtail. The Purple Sandpipers were showing well on the sea defence blocks on the outside of the East Arm, and there was also a few Razorbills and Guillmots here. I also got a second lifer (the gull being the first lifer), a Shag was swimming just out to sea, at one point it came up with a fish and I got great views of the bird eating the fish and resting afterwards. I also saw a Kingfisher and Mute Swans on that day.

I went for a walk yesterday with Pugsie, and was surpised at how quiet my local patch was, with just a Great tit heard singing and a Dunnock calling. The only numerous birds were Blackbirds and Great tits, however I did get a good view of a Dunnock and a Green Woodpecker. There was also a couple of Blue tits, and a patch first (believe it or not) Rook! (well a first for this patch anyway)

I woke up this morning and saw lots of birds of different species feeding right in front of my house! I don't know why they were feeding there, because I have never seen that many in front of my house before there was:

1 Pied wagtail
1 Blackbird
3 House Sparrows
3 Starlings
2 Blue tits
2 Great tits

(There was a sighting of a Twite near my Local Patch at Brighton Marina a couple of days ago so I am going down there later today)

I went down to Brighton Marina today, no sign of a Twite on any of the nearby beaches, perhaps I'll go tomorrow because the footpaths were closed. However, I did see at least four Purple Sandpipers and three Guillemots, one in winter plumage, one moulting into summer plumage and one in full summer plumage! I also heard a Blackbird singing aswell as a Dunnock, the Dunnock was a patch tick, for Brighton Marina at least...

I had the chance to get a lift to Brighton Marina whilst my folks were off shopping, only for 45 minutes, but I still saw lots of great birds, even before I got in the car a flock of five Long-Tailed Tits buzzed in the treetops opposite my house!

At the Marina I saw:

A very High Tide!
3 Guillemots, two in Summer Plumage :eat:
A roost of 30 Black-headed Gulls, with one curious Common Gull with them
1 Great Black-Backed Gull
1 Shag off the arm
A Brilliant Kingfisher came shooting across the harbour
11 Herring Gulls
And 1 Ringed Plover sleeping on the beach!

Jake thats a good local area. There used to be a regular update from brighton marina in birdwatching magazine. It was regularly covered. I have a recollection of a number of good birds from there. The iceland gull is a good sighting. Well done.

I had a great walk through Ladies Mile Local Nature Reserve today, and came up with a relatively big number of species.

Blue tit
Great tit
Robin
Dunnock, including one singing a metre away from me as I walked past
Song Thrush
Blackbird
Chaffinch
Greenfinch
Wren, including one singing in a bush a couple of metres away, oblivious to my presence!
Redwing
Woodpigeon
Collared Dove
Long-tailed tit
Bullfinch, a single male (second for patch!)

I also had a Green Woodpecker pecking away at the tree in our garden yesterday, and the Song Thrush is still coming back often, I think he might have an anvil because I saw a few snail shells near a rock behind a bush in my garden! :t:

Yesterday I saw a Meadow Pipit in my school fields! I saw the bird flying up and immediatly identified it by its call! I also saw another patch first for Ladies Mile LNR Common Gull!

Yesterday I went out to Brighton Marina, I wasn't there long, but I saw a few very nice birds!

I started out on the West Arm, and saw Black-headed Gulls, Herring Gulls and Mew Gulls, as well as a Great-crested Grebe, a patch lifer, out to sea!
I then went to the East Arm, from there I saw a strange, rather large looking bird on the sea. I took a closer look at it, and realised it was a Red-throated Diver (Lifer!). A birder next to me said that there is a Med. Gull on the rock pools, I had a look amongst the Black-headed Gulls but couldn't find it. He then said: Its in the water just in front of that flock, and it sure was, a breeding plumage Med. Gull! There was also a few distant Cormorants, Great-Crested Grebes and a Razorbill off the nearby rock pools.
I then went up to the golf course, where frequently there has been a second Iceland Gull, possibly Kumlien's subspecies, I saw a few Common, Herring and Black-headed Gulls, and then I saw a pure white bird dive from the roof of a house and circle the golf course, Iceland Gull! I managed to get good views of the bird, and realised I was being re-united with the one I saw in the Marina a month back!
On my loooong walk home, through Hollingbury Camp, I saw lots of Long-tailed Tits, a large, growing flock of at least 80 Redwings, a Great-Spotted Woodpecker, and what appeared to be a female Merlin?!, On the edge of the woods?!, shape and size was right and so was the plumage, but I decided as I didn't get good enough views of the bird I couldn't really get an ID on it.

If anyone thinks they can help with the Brighton Marina Iceland Gull/Kumlien's Gull I have posted a link below ( scroll down a little and you should see a photos page ). Please do: http://www.thebirdsofsussex.co.uk/

I went birdwatching without binoculars at Brighton Marina today, I saw:

1 Great Black-Backed Gull
3 Razorbills
1 Ruddy Turnstone
7 Purple Sandpipers
1 Mute Swan
Lots of Black-headed Gulls and Herring Gulls
3 Dunnocks
Lots of House Sparrows and Starlings
2 Woodpigeons (Patch tick! Well it had hardly any vegetation)

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back