• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lesvos 2014 (1 Viewer)

Steve Dudley

aka The Toadsnatcher
United Kingdom
Many of us haven't got over Lesvos spring 2013 and plans are already afoot for next season already.

Following concerns about charter flights running in 2014 we now have confirmation that flights will commence on 19 April 2014. For more details see here.

I'll continue to put any updates on here.

You'll also find lots of Lesvos chat and images on our dedicated Lesvos Birders Facebook Group - see here.

As ever, I'll continue to provide up to date info on my website - www.lesvosbirding.com. Sightings summaries daily during peak spring weeks (mid-April to mid-May) and monthly throughout the rest of the year.

Lesvos 2014, Manchester Flights :
Called into Thomas Cook Macclesfield today with a view to booking the Anaxos Hotel for 2 weeks from 03/05/14. Their computer was showing no availability. The assistant checked with TC's "Reservations" Office , who advised her that the new official brochure does not come out until 25/07/13.This is rather strange because at least one couple told us they'd booked a couple of weeks ago.
We'll have to see.
Mick

Lesvos 2014, Manchester Flights :
Called into Thomas Cook Macclesfield today with a view to booking the Anaxos Hotel for 2 weeks from 03/05/14. Their computer was showing no availability. The assistant checked with TC's "Reservations" Office , who advised her that the new official brochure does not come out until 25/07/13.This is rather strange because at least one couple told us they'd booked a couple of weeks ago.
We'll have to see.
Mick

Will pay a visit next day or two to our local independent travel agent, Mick, and see what they can come up with for beg. May. I'm determined not to miss Lesvos next year!

Sandra

Lesvos 2014 Manchester flights 03/05/14

Will pay a visit next day or two to our local independent travel agent, Mick, and see what they can come up with for beg. May. I'm determined not to miss Lesvos next year!

Sandra

Now sorted thanks to the intervention of Cheshire Birder at Macclesfield TC's.
Thanks Bill!

Now sorted thanks to the intervention of Cheshire Birder at Macclesfield TC's.
Thanks Bill!

Just come off the phone to our travel agent and we're booked for Lesvos from Manchester 3rd May 0640 hrs. Staying at our favourite hotel of course on B&B basis. Manos via Monarch. Yippee!

S

Is there much to choose between a week in mid April or in mid May in terms of likely productivity?

I would have thought mid-April would be better for birds but maybe the weather could be inclement now and again. Look at Steve's Lesvos website and judge what is being seen each year in April.

Sandra

Booked up monday for 2 weeks from the 10th may next year for our 6 visit. I know we miss some of the migrants then, but perfer the second/third weeks out there, we also miss the hustle & bustle of the tour groups which means we can potter around the island at our own pace and enjoy the peaceful life. Not having ago at anyone but the birders we meet then seem more laid back and easy going with out the urge to scoot off at a moments notice.
The count down is now on.
Stan

Has anyone else noticed that Thomas Cook are now offering a Wednesday flight from April 30th from Manchester ? Previously they had only saturday flights. Good news for the resorts if they are adding more flights.

Wednesday flights to Lesvos from Manchester May 2014

Has anyone else noticed that Thomas Cook are now offering a Wednesday flight from April 30th from Manchester ? Previously they had only saturday flights. Good news for the resorts if they are adding more flights.

Hi Bill
Although the new Wed flights have been highlighted/discussed on Steve Dudley's "Lesvos Birders" , Facebook group, originally the first one was planned for 7th May. Obviously this welcome change comes too late for us in 2014. In all likely hood we would have booked from 30/04 had it been available.
2014 Flights from Manchester - FYI anyone interested.
I have just done a search on Thomas Cook's web site, they have 4 seats left, flying Manchester outbound 30th April returning on 14th May @ £200 per person return. This doesn't include supplementary charges. As far as I can recall our original info was that the first Manchester flight was Saturday 3rd May. Go to :http://www.flythomascook.com/Select.aspx
I should add that in the past these have actually been Monarch charter flights and availability of extras (meals/leg room/baggage)
may be limited although they show them as available on the TC's website.
Best to you both for the New Year.
Mick:t:

Last edited:
Hopefully going from 3/5 and probably staying up at Petra, bring on the Ruppells warbler, yessss

Hi Mart,

You should have a great time. Have you been before?

I stayed at Petra a number of years ago and had some great birds right in and around the town including Ruppell's, L-L Buzzard, B R Thrush, Rock Nutchatch, River Warbler, Middle Spotted Woodpecker, Scop's Owl etc etc all in lovely suroundings and some nice places to eat and drink too.

ATB

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back