• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lesser spotted woodpecker (1 Viewer)

Of course the LSW, although rare in the UK, and thus difficult, is, nonetheless, less rare in certain countries abroad. Thus, for the individual wishing to tick it off his list, it can be easier to get it abroad. My only LSW was in Hungary, whilst over there on holidy

There's still a few around in Cheshire with Marbury & Moore being the most reliable places. There has been a single male knocking around Stanney Woods, Ellesmere Port for a couple of years and some people have reported seeing a pair. Birds are regularly reported from Chester Zoo and Eccleston Ferry along the Dee.

The good news is that Moore's Lesser-Spotted Woodpeckers are still present - I saw one two weeks ago, but it was extremely lucky, it wasn't vocal and it was just luck.
I guess, from what people are saying here, April seems a better time.

There's still a few around in Cheshire with Marbury & Moore being the most reliable places. There has been a single male knocking around Stanney Woods, Ellesmere Port for a couple of years and some people have reported seeing a pair. Birds are regularly reported from Chester Zoo and Eccleston Ferry along the Dee.

I think the Marbury birds are on the decline. So far as I am aware, the only female bird seen in the last year or so has been the rung bird, which is something like 8 years old. If that is correct then is seem likely that the Marbury birds will not hold on for too much longer. Hope I'm wrong though.

Can anyone tell me where is the best spot to see a lesser spot at Moore. I have never been before and the reserve looks a decent size so im just trying to concentrate all my efforts into the known spots rather than wandering around for hours where they dont tend to frequent, I've done this too many times at other sitez over the years. I am planning a trip down from Edinburgh this Saturday and hope to put my bogey bird to rest. Any help or advice would be greatly welcomed.

Can anyone tell me where is the best spot to see a lesser spot at Moore. I have never been before and the reserve looks a decent size so im just trying to concentrate all my efforts into the known spots rather than wandering around for hours where they dont tend to frequent, I've done this too many times at other sitez over the years. I am planning a trip down from Edinburgh this Saturday and hope to put my bogey bird to rest. Any help or advice would be greatly welcomed.

From the bridge over the ship canal (this road is called Moore Lane), park in the car park on the right just after the cross roads. Then walk back to the lane and go right away from ship canal. The birds favour this lane (Lapwing Lane) and the area a couple of hundred yards along on the left (this is the first track to the left). Hope this helps.

CB

From the bridge over the ship canal (this road is called Moore Lane), park in the car park on the right just after the cross roads. Then walk back to the lane and go right away from ship canal. The birds favour this lane (Lapwing Lane) and the area a couple of hundred yards along on the left (this is the first track to the left). Hope this helps.

CB

Thanks very much CB, I really do appreciate it. I just hope its not another long and fruitless trip :eek!:

Was at Moore last weekend and an early morning trip was successful. Had the LSW from the far end of the car park referred to by CB just into the dog walking field looking at the trees between this field and Lapwing Lane. It was switching between a big alder and a closer ash tree.

Saw it in the exact area that TJW states on Saturday morning, we first located it when we heard it drumming on the aforementioned Ash tree. It showed well for around 20 minutes before it flew off towards the larger wood, so the earlier the better it seems.

DSC_8018.JPG

Thanks very much CB, I really do appreciate it. I just hope its not another long and fruitless trip :eek!:

Familiarise yourself with the sound of LSW drumming and the contact calls via xeno-canto, etc. or one of the bird sound CDs if you have one. These will help you locate the bird more easily.

CB

Slight hijack of thread, but the thread has basically been about Moore NR and how to see lesserpeckers. I intend to try for lesserpeckers on Saturday, but was just interested to note that Wikipedia says the reserve is also noted for Tawny Owls.

Could anyone give me any info on where the roost is (though it might be a bit late for this spring, but I could try again in winter)?

Could anyone give me any info on where the roost is (though it might be a bit late for this spring, but I could try again in winter)?

There used to be a bird at a traditional roost site which guaranteed a sighting but that bird seems to have died or moved elsewhere.

CB

Win!

Apologies for the double post (though the subject is different!)

Had great views of a male lesserpecker this morning right by the car park. Quick views of two more on the left hand path off Lapwing Lane. Thanks to everyone who gave me advice on where to look. I'm off to celebrate now!B :)

Lesser Spots have been hard to come by at Marbury this year. Only one sighting and one drumming record along Marbury Lane from the patch regulars to date, though apparently some visiting birders have been reporting them from within Big Wood. It would be good to know if any forum users have seen or heard them this year.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back