• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leighton Moss 11 Dec 09 (1 Viewer)

Keith Dickinson

Opus Editor
The journey from Leeds to Leighton Moss began at 6.45am on a very cold but clear morning. It was minus 2 degrees according to the thermometer in the car when I set off, but it dropped to -4 as I was driving past Ingleton. Not many birds seen on the journey until I got to Arkholme when I saw a very large mixed flock of starlings, jackdaws and crows feeding in a field.

I reached the car park at Leighton Moss just about 8.30 and for the first time in ages I was able to park behind the reserve centre rather than in the overflow car park. The temperature was still below freezing at this time, so I made sure I had gloves and hat on before I set off to the feeding station. At the station there were about a dozen pheasants and the same number of mallards hovering up the spilt stuff under the feeders, upon which I very quickly totted up great, blue and marsh tits along with chaffinches, a couple of robins and a song thrush which landed on the feeding tray for a second or two before flying off, not to be seen again.

The cold meant that I didn’t hang around but forged on to Lilian hide, which was like a fridge! The large windows where covered in condensation and you couldn’t see a blessed thing out them, as were the glazed window flaps. Opening the flaps was a mistake as the slight breeze was like an arctic blast, the view was of a handful of teal, mallard and gadwalls close in, more distant views being hampered by the early morning sun shining directly into your face. I could hear geese but couldn’t see them.
Very quickly the lack of warmth meant that I needed to move on, so out the hide and along the path towards the Causeway and Public hide.

I managed to add mute swan, reed bunting and blackbird to the day list from the path, the swans being in flight across the reedbed and the crisp morning air allowing me to hear the woosh of their wings. From the Causeway I heard water rail and wren but not the Cetti’s warbler I was hoping for. Public hide was no warmer than Lilian and it too had misted up glass so once again I had to open the flap and get the cold breeze in my face. It’s amazing how you don’t feel the slight breeze when you are moving about but the minute you stop it’s like a knife through you. A solitary great black-backed gull along with a couple of cormorants were all that greeted me on my first scan of the water, as I got my eye in I picked out a distant female goldeneye, more teal and a few Pochard, more mute swans and a flotilla of greylag geese cruised out from behind an island. I was going to set up the scope but the cold was such that I didn’t really want to remain stationary for too long, so pressing on I continued on my way to Lower hide.

At Lower hide I found a large flock of black-headed gulls with at least half dozen common gulls mixed in with them. More swans and also tufted duck and hundreds of coot made up the rest of the birds seen from this hide. I decided to retrace my path and visit the 2 hides on the other side of the reserve centre. I’d been struck on the way from the car park how few small birds were around, however on the way back I started to find them, flocks of long-tailed tit, a solitary dunnock and more marsh tit were seen before I reached the Causeway again. I did hear the soft wheeze of a bullfinch but couldn’t locate the bird, on the walk to Tim Jackson hide I was accompanied by several great tits, blue tits and long-tailed tits, obviously a feeding flock but they didn’t have any interesting birds with them.

Tim Jackson hide was a disappointment, the sun was now quite bright and at just the right height to make it painful trying to look out of the hide, I heard mallard and wigeon but didn’t even attempt to eyeball them. I left the hide within seconds of entering and made my way to Grizedale hide, where the sun wasn’t quite so bad. Here I found a large flock of greylag geese with one or two Canada geese muddled in with them, a common buzzard flying over the wood attracted my attention for the most unbuzzard-like flight action. There were no thermals for it to exploit and its laboured flapping trying to gain height was something I’d never seen before. I’m used to them giving a couple of flaps and then gliding majestically, still the bird managed to gain the required height and it then soared away dropping behind the hill in the distance.

By now the cold had got to my bones and I decided to head for the café and a hot drink, disturbing something in the water by the path as there was a definite splash as I walked along. A sparrowhawk shooting through the bushes close to the car park was a welcome addition to the list.

part two

Once I’d warmed up with a black coffee and slice of flapjack, I decided to have a look at the optics on display in the shop. It was here that I damaged my specs when trying out a Nikon scope. I’d thought I’d hooked them in my waistcoat pocket but obviously hadn’t done it right and as I bent to look through the eyepiece they fell. The noise as they landed told me straight away that something wasn’t right; sure enough when I picked them up I’d got a small crazed area on one lens, unfortunately right in my line of sight. Wish I’d followed my initial plan to go straight out rather than visit the shop.

Anyway I looked at the sightings board and saw that a note had been added about redpoll and siskin being seen near to Lower hide, I’d ample time to go back there and check them out, so as the weather had warmed up considerably off I went. This time the number of birds by the path was very good, I even had a great sighting of a male bullfinch on the wire fencing, as I reached the Causeway I heard the krokking of a raven, scanning the sky I managed to find 2 birds flying west over the golf course, another nice bird to add to my list.

The Causeway was quiet with nothing seen or heard on the way to Lower hide other than the usual ducks and geese on the water. I walked the path from the Causeway very slowly scanning the treetops, picking out more blue tits, great tits and then a small group of birds in one of the distant alders. Finches I knew but which, I managed to set the scope up and get onto the birds, siskins, a lovely male and 2 females.

A little further along the path I heard something that I couldn’t mistake the high-pitched trseeee of a treecreeper, I stopped and began scanning the trees, I’d almost given up when I spotted movement on the trunk of a silver birch, got him(or her), another nice bird. I managed to follow its progress from tree to tree for about 5 minutes before it disappeared from view. A shape scurrying under a bush turned out to be a redwing. I checked the time and decided that if I was to visit the Morecambe Bay hides before dark I’d better set off back.

Once more on the Causeway, more blue tits, another water rail squealing away and then just after I passed Public hide, the electric pinging of bearded tits, at least a couple of birds made their way through the reeds pinging away. I wasn’t lucky enough to get a view of them but you just can’t mistake that sound. As I neared the end of the Causeway I noticed a bird at the top of the trees on the golf course, a quick look with the bins and kestrel was added to the list. I had a bash at taking a picture of it using my bins rather than the scope, it worked after a fashion.

Back in the car and as I drove to the car park for the Bay hides I noticed the temperature was now 8 degrees, quite a rise since my arrival. I made my way to Eric Morecambe hide (the furthest from the car park) taking my flask and lunch with me.
Once in the hide I could look out to the west quite easily but looking south was a major problem with the sun. Wouldn’t you just know it that most of the birds were on the south side. I did manage to pick out a few pintail, mallard and coot along with distant little egrets. To the west were more mallard and a few goldeneyes along with a small flock of lapwing. Whilst I was eating my lunch one of the other birders in the hide found a greenshank my favourite of the ‘shanks. Very good views as the bird was tucked in feeding by the edge of the water and not in direct line of the sun. I found a couple of redshank and a single oystercatcher.

A female kingfisher was located using the wire fence as a fishing perch, it’s so much better when there are more eyes, all the other hides I’d been in had been empty, so it had been my eyes only seeking out the birds. Then a chap relocated the merlin, I hadn’t been in the hide when it first was seen so knew nothing of this. Luckily the chap gave good directions and I was able to get my scope on it for a few seconds before it flew and was not seen again.

Later I was scanning the very far corner of the water to the west having located a couple of curlew that I was hoping to turn into godwits, when I spotted a lone redshank, but it didn’t have the right feeding action for a redshank, it was much jerkier and it was swimming a lot, all these being more spotted redshank actions, but the bird didn’t seem to show the dark line through the eyes, nor the drooping to the bill tip. As I was just about to ask the other birders to get on to it, the bird took off, flying towards the hide for a little way then turning and flying away, I was able to confidently announce spot red flying west, there being no white trailing edge to the secondaries. A most interesting bird to finish the day with as if it hadn’t flown I would have put it down as an odd redshank. By now it was getting on and I wanted to be in Preston whilst there was still some light so I headed off back to the car and the journey south.

All in a very nice but cold day’s birding, total species seen or heard was 57 which I’m quite happy with given the weather and not being able to sit for long in one place.

Attachments

• Robin on a post.jpg
    Robin on a post.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 66
  • gadwall he was sideways when I pressed the shutter.jpg
    gadwall he was sideways when I pressed the shutter.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 55
  • digi-binned kestrel.jpg
    digi-binned kestrel.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 60
  • mist-on-the-water.jpg
    mist-on-the-water.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 56
  • teal from Lilian at 9-30am.jpg
    teal from Lilian at 9-30am.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Cracking wright up and super pic's!

I managed to grace leighton with my presence a couple of weeks back whilst dropping a car to scotland, Was taken back by how friendly the birds were mallard jumping in the motor birds around ya feet and the robins were awesome.

I saw nothing i could ID as new to me but only had a hour and met with 2 birds i could not Id unfortunately.

Karpman

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back