• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica is not getting the attention it deserves (2 Viewers)

Interesting, it’s the one Leica with the least amount of eye relief and smallest eye lenses of the whole line up. Just goes to show what works for one doesn’t work for all. Try before you buy.

Paul 🙏
Yep, that’s funny. The 8x32 Leica is the only one that I get blackouts with. The 42 size buns are fine. I have deep set eyes and don’t wear glasses with my bins, if that matters.

I find the same with a lot of leica's, black outs with the noctivid and most ultravid's, they don't really do it for me so I don't give them a huge amount of attention!

The exception in the line up is the 8x32 ultravid which fits me well, I like that one. When I eventually manage to rationalise down to one binocular that would be on the shortlist.
To be fair to lovely Leica, it also happens to me with diverse other binoculars, including Conquests unless long eyecup ordered, and even (very slightly) with the Swarovski EL 8.5x42s I just bought.

Life at the tail of a customer frequency distribution, it sucks!

So with my nikon e2's I have to close the ipd down to avoid black outs - eye cups unfolded. My SLC 8x56 needs to have the eye cups extended all the way with the idp closed down a fair bit to avoid black outs.

Both of these have reasonably large eye cups.

The 42mm leica's seem to have similar width eye cups (maybe slightly narrower) but they also have more rounded edges so they sit further in which is why I have more blackouts with them, the lack of eye relief in the 32's even with the narrower eye cups negates the problem. I was particularly unimpressed when I found the noctivid unuseble and I haven't found a single set of pockets I can use comfortably!

Last edited:
The 42mm leica's seem to have similar width eye cups (maybe slightly narrower) but they also have more rounded edges so they sit further in which is why I have more blackouts with them, the lack of eye relief in the 32's even with the narrower eye cups negates the problem. I was particularly unimpressed when I found the noctivid unuseble and I haven't found a single set of pockets I can use comfortably!

Rubber eyecups are cheap (~£5) and can give you that extra few mm to make those blackouts disappear, as well as shielding from side light if winged. Better than rejecting a great binocular because of too much ER in my opinion. I use them on my Zeiss VP 8x25 when not wearing glasses, and sometimes on my Noctivid 8x both with and without glasses (but it doesn't need them in either case).

I just recently found an offer I could not refused on a pair of Leicas 7x42 HD´s
Screenshot_20230820_131206_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20230824_111822_eBay.jpg
The previous owner mentioned in the AD that the objective lenses had some scratches that did not interfered with the quality of the view. They came in their original box but the only accesory included was the original objective covers. Eventhough these binoculars where beaten and heavily used, they performed flawlessly with no colimation issues thanks to great engineering and design.
I sent the binoculars to Leica Service in the US and they where returned 5 weeks later with brand new objective lenses, brand new armor, new focus dial, new neck strap, new occular covers, new objective covers, and new Leica case at no cost.
The binoculars had their guarantee card that stated that they where sold in 2014 and had three years of coverage. I am really impressed with Leica and I am really greatfull for their stellar service.
View attachment DSC_3363.JPG

It turns out that the previous owner of these binoculars was Neil Hayward, who broke the Big Year in 2013 with a recorded 749 species in North America.

IMG-20230826-WA0079.jpg

He also wrote a book about his experiece that year
Screenshot_20230827_190825_Facebook.jpg

I spoke with him on the phone, to be honest I did not know who he was until later. He mentioned that he took these binoculars all over the world including South Africa, Australia, South America, and Central America.
I am a Birdwatcher myself and I am really happy to own this little piece of bird watching history, I currently own a Swarovski 7X30 B SLC Mark IV with upgraded prisms and lenses that I really enjoy very much but the depth perception and the ease of use of the Leicas 7X42 HD are the icing on the Cake.

I just recently found an offer I could not refused on a pair of Leicas 7x42 HD´s
View attachment 1540046

View attachment 1540047
The previous owner mentioned in the AD that the objective lenses had some scratches that did not interfered with the quality of the view. They came in their original box but the only accesory included was the original objective covers. Eventhough these binoculars where beaten and heavily used, they performed flawlessly with no colimation issues thanks to great engineering and design.
I sent the binoculars to Leica Service in the US and they where returned 5 weeks later with brand new objective lenses, brand new armor, new focus dial, new neck strap, new occular covers, new objective covers, and new Leica case at no cost.
The binoculars had their guarantee card that stated that they where sold in 2014 and had three years of coverage. I am really impressed with Leica and I am really greatfull for their stellar service.
View attachment 1540056

It turns out that the previous owner of these binoculars was Neil Hayward, who broke the Big Year in 2013 with a recorded 749 species in North America.

View attachment 1540057

View attachment 1540060

I spoke with him on the phone, to be honest I did not know who he was until later. He mentioned that he took these binoculars all over the world including South Africa, Australia, South America, and Central America.
I am a Birdwatcher myself and I am really happy to own this little piece of bird watching history, I currently own a Swarovski 7X30 B SLC Mark IV with upgraded prisms and lenses that I really enjoy very much but the depth perception and the ease of use of the Leicas 7X42 HD are the icing on the Cake.

That is excellent service indeed.

M

The binoculars had their guarantee card that stated that they where sold in 2014 and had three years of coverage.
Great find! But only the Passport "no fault" warranty was limited to 3 years. The general warranty in USA was 30 years (though it might have been reduced to 10 for a while?) -- not sure how that applies if you're in Argentina.

Your other image says "Neil Hayward is on Adak Island". One wonders how, since access is now limited. My wife did environmental monitoring around Army bases there some years ago, and found Adak very interesting, from Cold War relics to birds.

Last edited:
"
All Leica Sport Optic products shipped from Leica Camera Inc. to an authorized USA or Canadian dealer since Jan 1, 2021 will now feature a fully transferable 10-year Passport Protection Plan plus a 30-year Manufacturer’s Warranty. Both aspects of our commitment to you compromise the following:

• Fully Transferable
  • No Warranty Card Required
  • No Receipt Required
  • No Charge
  • Valid only on products purchased from authorized Leica dealers in USA or Canada
"

It is some other brand offering better?

Great find! But only the Passport "no fault" warranty was limited to 3 years. The general warranty in USA was 30 years (though it might have been reduced to 10 for a while?) -- not sure how that applies if you're in Argentina.

Your other image says "Neil Hayward is on Adak Island". One wonders how, since access is now limited. My wife did environmental monitoring around Army bases there some years ago, and found Adak very interesting, from Cold War relics to birds.
I live in Guatemala and I was able to sent the binocular to an aunts house in the US and from there I sent the binoculars to Leica, then my aunt brought them back to Guatemala for me.
I just looked for Adak island, wow it is pretty far away. That must be a very interesting place to visit.
kind regards
Jorge Rademann

The book appears already to be out of print, but your post inspired me to find a copy to read. I thought it was rather good, and my wife who had read "The Big Year" (which I avoided along with the movie) says this is much better. Apparently a more typical and cooperative view of serious birding than Obmascik's, which makes me wonder how well it would have done had the theme not been previously exhausted. Unlikely to have interested Hollywood, I suppose.

"
All Leica Sport Optic products shipped from Leica Camera Inc. to an authorized USA or Canadian dealer since Jan 1, 2021 will now feature a fully transferable 10-year Passport Protection Plan plus a 30-year Manufacturer’s Warranty. Both aspects of our commitment to you compromise the following:

• Fully Transferable
  • No Warranty Card Required
  • No Receipt Required
  • No Charge
  • Valid only on products purchased from authorized Leica dealers in USA or Canada
"

It is some other brand offering better?
Zeiss, IMHO.
To make use of Leica's 30-year warranty, they needed a bill of sale. Private party bill OK only if purchased directly from original owner. YMMV
I phoned Zeiss about new objective covers for my FL and they didn't even want the serial number. Just sent them to me gratis. YMMV
That being said, I have had excellent customer service from Leica, Swarovski, Zeiss, Steiner, and Leupold. YMMV

Zeiss, IMHO.
To make use of Leica's 30-year warranty, they needed a bill of sale. Private party bill OK only if purchased directly from original owner. YMMV
I phoned Zeiss about new objective covers for my FL and they didn't even want the serial number. Just sent them to me gratis. YMMV
That being said, I have had excellent customer service from Leica, Swarovski, Zeiss, Steiner, and Leupold. YMMV
I recently looked into buying some Leica optics secondhand. I asked Leica about warranty coverage- the particular spotting scope I was asking about was bought new in 2021 from an authorized dealer but it was manufactured before 2021. I was told the warranty would not transfer to me because it was manufactured before 2021.

From this I gather that they strictly enforce the 2021 manufacture date for the new warranty.

If you are buying brand new from an authorized dealer, it is a great warranty. Otherwise be careful of manufacture date if warranty is of concern to you (it is to me with how expensive these things are!).

Zeiss, IMHO.
Are you sure of this? I've had two Leica bins serviced (7x35BA and 8x20BCA) in the past 2-3 years, and neither one required any documentation at all. More recently I inquired whether the Noctivid eyepiece covers had 'changed' because the ones on my newer 10X fit better than the ones on my 2018 8x and they confirmed the slight modification and sent me new ones w/no questions or cost. Arrived within a week of my calling.

I suspect stories are all over the place... to whit: I lost one of my 8x30SFL objective covers (I do use them ;-) and have been waiting for several months for Zeiss to source a replacement.

I've had 2 BN's fully serviced free by Leica, over 18years old each of them.
No hassles, quibbles and a very good service from Leica.
They even reminded me I had ANOTHER 12 years waranty on my newest ones.
Which is 2 more than a brand new Trinovid !!!
Very happy Leica customer here so far.

Are you sure of this? I've had two Leica bins serviced (7x35BA and 8x20BCA) in the past 2-3 years, and neither one required any documentation at all. More recently I inquired whether the Noctivid eyepiece covers had 'changed' because the ones on my newer 10X fit better than the ones on my 2018 8x and they confirmed the slight modification and sent me new ones w/no questions or cost. Arrived within a week of my calling.

I suspect stories are all over the place... to whit: I lost one of my 8x30SFL objective covers (I do use them ;-) and have been waiting for several months for Zeiss to source a replacement.
glock24 posted a question about Leica requesting documentation. Don't know how it ever resolved. Hopefully, it worked out favorably.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back