• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica 8x20 Ultravid is a gem! (1 Viewer)

Trinovid

mountain and glacier watcher
United States
I'm really surprised at how tiny they are and how well they work in the dark, considering the small exit pupil. I'd always assumed they be at least a little bit more bulky and it took me a bit to get used to using them. These are probably the best covert binocular one could have and compared to my 8x32 UVHD+, very hard to picture not wanting to carry all the time.

So, I got my 8x20 Ultravid with nothing but the strap and lens caps and was curious as to whether or not I got the Aquadura coating or not. Used in the heavy rain yesterday, I never got any water on the lenses, but if I understand correctly the coating will help fend off fogging and make rain bead off. Just advertising hype or is it actually beneficial?

Also interested in finding out approximately when my binoculars were made. Serial number is in the 2009xxx range.

I got these back in January, and they have been in my pocket everytime I have been out walking since getting them, they are so damn portable. I made them even more portable by following the advice in the below thread, about using one of the microfibre drawstring bags that come with some sunglasses.

Ultravid 8x20 BR - help me find a low profile pouch!

They have absolutely blew me away and then some, with their clarity and sharpness. Like yourself, I was amazed at how well they coped in low light/dusk. It's one thing I thought I would see a compromise with, when compared to my Duovid 10-15x50, but this was not the case.

I used to have some.
Superb bins, and you just find a way to get round the size/handling.
I've got Swaro CL8x25's now, just a tad bigger.
Quality wise, these 'alpha minis' just blow you away.
I'm ALWAYS amazed when I look through quality pocket binos.
Enjoy

I'm really surprised at how tiny they are and how well they work in the dark, considering the small exit pupil. I'd always assumed they be at least a little bit more bulky and it took me a bit to get used to using them. These are probably the best covert binocular one could have and compared to my 8x32 UVHD+, very hard to picture not wanting to carry all the time.

So, I got my 8x20 Ultravid with nothing but the strap and lens caps and was curious as to whether or not I got the Aquadura coating or not. Used in the heavy rain yesterday, I never got any water on the lenses, but if I understand correctly the coating will help fend off fogging and make rain bead off. Just advertising hype or is it actually beneficial?

Also interested in finding out approximately when my binoculars were made. Serial number is in the 2009xxx range.
I guess they are the best covert binocular one could have. My UV 10x25 BL lives in my small messenger bag, they are always with me and every time I use them im happy with the crystal clear, sharp nice view the little Ultravid produce.

If you contact Leica with you SN they can tell you the production year.

Cheers,
T.

These were my first Leicas and ever since I got them I have hoped for every other Leica model I tried to be like them - just bigger. A medium or full sized model like this is still to be found. I sang their praises in various other threads and I'm not going to reiterate all my views on them. Just one thing. In my view, there is some intriguing mystery about them. While the FOV is small, it never never felt like this to me. By comparison, the FOV of the UV 7x42 seems much smaller to me when in reality it is not. Maybe one more thing: To my eyes (or brain) the distortion profile, the degree of field curvature and their colour balance are exactly how I want them to be. Ace.

Hi Trinovid 8x32b,

While I can't help you with numbering in relation to when Aquadura was introduced, I did come across a demonstration of it in action . . .

The first image shows the way that it’s hydrophobic quality causes water to bead,
and the second how the beaded water can then be be mostly removed by a flick of the wrist.
The third shows details of the author’s testing procedure!

The images are from a 2006 review of the then new Ultravid HD x42 by Derek Lovitch.
A set of Derek's reviews were previously available at: http://www.yarmouthbirds.com/product_reviews.asp
See an image of the page.
However, only the Ultravid one seems to still be available at: http://www.yarmouthbirds.com/pdf/Leica-Ultravids.pdf

John

Attachments

• Aquadura - Before.jpg
    Aquadura - Before.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 45
  • Aquadura - After.jpg
    Aquadura - After.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 48
  • Typical Leica lover!.jpg
    Typical Leica lover!.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 47
  • Derek's Reviews.jpg
    Derek's Reviews.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 45
Hiho Folks,

Here's a quick YouTube demo on the Aquadura in action:

I did the same fog test on the ocular lens of my UV 8x 20 and compared it to an untreated lens from another pocket bino. The results were dramatically different; the fog clears in just a few seconds, leaving the control binocular in the....well.... fog lol

Cheers,

Neil.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back