• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Least Sandpiper or Semipalmated Sandpiper? Washington, DC (1 Viewer)

ExistingHuman

United States
I'm brand new to birding and saw this bird in Washington, DC a few days ago. My initial guess was that it's a Least Sandpiper but I posted on Reddit and got conflicting responses. One commenter thought it was a Least Sandpiper and the other thought it was a Semipalmated Sandpiper. Any thoughts? Both seem somewhat plausible based on the info on eBird, the Audubon site, etc. (Apologies for the low-quality videos.)

Attachments

• 5C3E2EEF-447F-4001-904D-67097CF12B28.MOV
    4.7 MB
  • 48F426F5-6AFB-487D-AE4D-8F0BC67AFFE9.MOV
    4.5 MB
  • 06482BC8-600A-4B80-99C2-21F6EA266178.MOV
    4.4 MB
Bill too long and stout for least sandpiper. Thus presumably semipalmated sandpiper (though bill looks rather long for that too, suggesting western sandpiper but the dark chest looks wrong).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back