• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Last minute trip to Hong Kong (1 Viewer)

Julianm

Hi,

I've managed to arrange some free time in HongKong around a business trip to Nansha (near Guangzhou, China). I will be in HongKong this Saturday (20th Oct) and the following Sunday, Monday and Tuesday (28-30th).

Hope someone can give me some advice.

Is it possible to turn up to Mai Po and be allowed in without filling in the paperwork in advance (as I've not the time for that)?

What other places are good for birding this time of year? and how do I get to them? I've been to Hong Kong before, but had a guide, so I don't know how to get to all the best birding places and that was spring/summer, not autumn.

Can anyone recommend good, safe, fairly centrally located but cheapish accommodation for the 27-30th as I cannot get work to pay for that, and the top hotels seem too costly for me.

Does anyone know if there are any good places for birds in and around Nansha? Will try to get out before/after the meeting.

Finally, if anyone wants to go bird watching with me when I'm in Hong Kong please send me a pm, as I'd always pleased to have the company.

thanks

Julian

I found this:

http://www.newsgd.com/news/guangdong1/content/2007-08/31/content_4238754.htm

Maybe someone will know where there is a patch of Stellar Sea Eagles.

Thanks for this very interesting link.The idea of an area being set aside for wildlife in China is extremely surprising, but has to be viewed as a postitive first step. I will try to visit the wetland park when I am in Nansha, but I'm not sure how easy transport will be to organise for a non-Chinese speaker like me, as it appears that I'll need to get a boat to get there. I'll report on how I get on with this later.

A quick look out of the window of my hotel (in Causeway Bay) this morning revealed the following birds:
Oriental Magpie-Robin, Black-collared Starling, Crested Myna, Red-Whiskered & Light-vented Bulbul, Masked Laughing-Thrush as well as the ubiquous Tree Sparrow and Black Kite. Not bad for before getting dressed.

Other birds of interest seen during a walk through Kowloon Park were: Asian Koel, Chinese Pond Heron, Great Tit, Arctic Warbler, Common Tailorbird and Red-billed Leiothrix; and there was a Great Egret at the HK-China Ferry Terminal.

[No Stellar Sea Eagles though |:(| ]

Off to China tomorrow, but back next Saturday, so I'm still interested in information on Mai Po, and other places to try.

Julian

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back