• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lake District birds in September (1 Viewer)

dipped

Hi All,

I'm staying at Windermere for 2 weeks family holiday at the beginning of Sept.

I have borrowed Birds of the Lake District by WR Mitchell.

On previous visits I have struggled to see some of the specialities of the region so I am wondering if anyone can help me on any other sites not mentioned in the book. In particular raptor sites and is there a chance of an eagle at Haweswater? Is the area round Cowshill still any good for Black Grouse or is there anywhere else? Dipper can also be awkward.

Any help would be much appreciated. I plan to go to Leigton Moss, South Walney and Sunbiggin Tarn, but what weather conditions would be good for seawatching and migrant falls, and where? I will have text messages for scarce/rarities in the area for the first time which will help.

Not sure whether the Golden Eagle will still be around at Haweswater. The Osprey on Bassenthwaite may still be there.

We stayed between St.John's in the Vale and Keswick last year which was good for Buzzard - especailly the Ambleside to A66 road.

If in the Winderemere area it maybe worth checking by the cemetry main gate at Bowness - we got Hawfinch in June in the tree to the right of the church and in the trees opposite across the road by the car park following a tip from another Bird Forum member.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back