• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kingfishers ? (1 Viewer)

LW1959

Hi All,
can anyone please tell me where to look for kingfishers in southampton,romsey, new forest areas?
The one i new of has not been seen for a while,and my father has never seen a kingfisher so i would love to show him one !
Manythanks
LW

Over the road from Eling Great Marsh is the Lower Test reserve. It's my local patch and I feel cheated if I don't get at least one view of a Kingfisher there on a walk around the reserve. Saying that, my last Kingfisher was 2 weeks ago on Cemetery Lake, Southampton Common. They are much less regular there.

Depends what you mean by "good"!!! This morning:
3 Kingfishers, 1 Common Sandpiper, 1 Green Sandpiper, 1 Peregrine, 1 Sparrowhawk, 1 Kestrel, lots of Little Egrets and all the usual gulls, calling Cetti's Warbler, Reed Bunting, Lapwing, Curlews, Black-Tailed Godwit, Snipe, 3 Barnacle Geese (not exactly wild).

David

Is lower test reserve good for other birds in the winter. I might think about going.

It won't match a trip to e.g. Lymington to Keyhaven but if you take a circular route taking in Testwood Lakes as well (e.g. see http://www.hwt.org.uk/data/files/reserves/Lower_Test_Leaflet_2011_side_two_PROOF.pdf and http://www.hwt.org.uk/data/files/reserves/lower_test_leaflet_2011_side_one_proof_v2.pdf)
you get a variety of habitats and birds.

I've seen 178 bird species at Lower Test/Eling/Testwood Lakes and I'm just a middle-aged duffer |=)|

Last edited:
Best place I have found is on the road into Winchester from Southampton - St Cross Road. Part way down is a turning into a lane next to some playing fields, think it is called Five Bridges Road. You park up on the verge and walk straight ahead, through a gate, take the bike path to the right and over the road and turn right down onto the river again...Thats the spot!

I saw some there while riding the trail and took my girlfriend back a week later as she has never seen them. We had 3 all flying around us and showing very well. You just need to walk a bit, stand in one spot, walk a bit... and have some patience. Its an amazing stretch of river that winds all the way back to Southampton.

Hint: There is a pub about 45 minutes walk down the river where you can sit and hear the Kingfishers calling back on the river!! B :)

Map link

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back