• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kingfishers around Derby (1 Viewer)

littlerestraint

Bird photography beginner!
Hi all, first new thread for me, sorry if I mess anything up!

I'm new to bird photography and birds in general really, but my goal for this year is to get a decent shot of a Kingfisher.

I wonder if anybody would be willing to share any of their information as to where I'd be best to spot them? Or am I asking for trade secrets here? :)

I have only ever seen them in one spot before, and that was just off the Trent & Mersey Canal, on the 'Black Pool', near the Ukraine Centre at Weston on Trent. I'll probably stake that out as a first port of call.

A nice couple that stopped to speak to me at Elvaston Castle one day told me about somewhere in the Belper area that plays home to a few but I forget where exactly they said.

So, any ideas on locations, and more importantly any TIPS on how to go about finding them would be very much appreciated.

So far I'm guessing that it's mostly a case of finding a favorable spot and just digging in for the long haul?

Thanks in advance.

I have regular sightings along the Derwent at Alvaston Park. If you stand near the railway bridge they can be seen flying past, and the last two years have shown signs of nesting behaviour (although I've never found definite evidence).

The biggest tip would give you is to learn their call, my parents consistantly miss Kingfishers that I can hear coming 200yards down river simply because they can't recognise it and so can't tell how far away it and which way its flying.

Happy snapping!

Steve T

I have regular sightings along the Derwent at Alvaston Park. If you stand near the railway bridge they can be seen flying past, and the last two years have shown signs of nesting behaviour (although I've never found definite evidence).

The biggest tip would give you is to learn their call, my parents consistantly miss Kingfishers that I can hear coming 200yards down river simply because they can't recognise it and so can't tell how far away it and which way its flying.

Happy snapping!

Steve T
Brilliant Steve, thanks for the advice, I'll put that one down on the list!

I'm off to learn the call :)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back