• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kinabatangan, Borneo - little egrets or medium egrets? (2 Viewers)

I'm seeing black, needle-like bills on the birds to left and right, contrasting with the thicker-based yellow bill of the middle bird. So I think the outer birds are Little Egret (or something in that "complex", not sure what species/subspecies would be expected in Borneo).

Despite the long neck the overall size difference doesn't look great enough to me for the middle bird to be Great Egret, so I'm guessing it's Intermediate, unless Eastern Great Egrets really are a lot smaller than Western ones...

Bird with stretched neck is great egret for me. I can see its gape extending past its eye. At least of the others seem like little, but image resolution makes certainty difficult. In the first picture there's a yellow-billed egret to the left which is smaller. I think this may be cattle egret.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back