• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kidderminster Peregrines (4 Viewers)

Honestly it is stupid a schedule one breeding site should be so actively publicised IMO. Peregrines are still persecuted by Pigeon fanciers and the like, nests still raided for eggs/young to be sold as falconry birds.

Basically putting a huge arrow above the nest saying 'here they are'.

They even say the exact nesting site! Absolutely stupid idea

MB

Rubbish! The more people who know about these particular birds the more effectively they will be protected in my view! I did this because I am told they are not wanted by the restaurant below and that the maintenance people who look after the park are planning an outside clean and refurb of the chimney - another way I guess of getting rid of them! Hopefully now that loads of passers by and bird lovers will be viewing their antics the less likely they will be disturbed!

Rubbish! The more people who know about these particular birds the more effectively they will be protected in my view! I did this because I am told they are not wanted by the restaurant below and that the maintenance people who look after the park are planning an outside clean and refurb of the chimney - another way I guess of getting rid of them! Hopefully now that loads of passers by and bird lovers will be viewing their antics the less likely they will be disturbed!

Fair enough, I can see your point, I know a few pairs are protected in this way. In my opinion it leads to pretty easy attacks on them though, and even some of the best known city Peregrines have been targeted (killed) as a result of their fame. But the same outcome can be achieved in other ways. I assume you have contacted Steven Payne, Steve Davies (BTO) or the RSPB for advice on this?

Any action/disturbance taken around the nest site is of course illegal, and whoever commits the offense is of course liable to prosecution. Would be worth reminding the restaurant owners this.

On a last note, no offense intended KF, distribution of breeding info on BoPs always hits a raw nerve for me
Craig

I take your point and passion Craig. IMO raptors always need to be handled carefully but in this case a high profile pair can only do good and in an inaccessible location what's not too like? There are lots of similiar scenarios all over the UK and they give a lot of pleasure without receiving any pain. More sinister are the activities of people where the birds are not public. This attitude needs to be bred out but perhaps the talk of inbreeding is for a different forum;)

I for one now have an excuse to pop by Kidderminster and view the local 'slebs!

Laurie:t:

P.S. I have seen quite a few frosts more than you (58yo) and when i started taking an interest and reading what little literature was around in the mid-late 60's the situation regarding the Peregrine was dire and nobody could have foreseen the burgeoning all-time-high population that todays birders take for granted. I was involved in the WTE re-introduction on Rhum tentativly wondering whether it was a waste of time, effort and money. Who could have foreseen the success of the Red Kite projects?

To give you some perspective - i remember the RSPB reserve being set up at Coombes Valley, OK it has the woodland stuff and in Summer the Flickers and Redstarts but it was the fact that it contained 5 pairs of breeding Sparrowhawks that clinched its' purchase - that's how rare this species had become because, like the Peregrine, toxic pesticides had led to both species laying thin-shelled eggs that cracked on brooding.

Sorry, prattled on but i see Sprawk every day around here, Peregrine every month and Red Kite every quarter.....times, thankfully, change.

Keep up the passion m8.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back