• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kaeng Krachan Trip Report (1 Viewer)

Florin Chirila

Been to KKNP recently, below is a list of what I found in two consecutive days - one at Ban Krang Camp and around, one at Phanoen Thung.

Note: most species have a positive ID, either done by myself or with help from other birders in field or here on Birdforum - thanks to everyone ! For a few species, written in italics, I have some doubts. Reasons for doubting: I wasn't able to take pictures and judged only by on-spot impressions which can be deceiptive; took pictures but they lack relevant details for ID. So please take these records with a grain of salt.

Little Egret
Red-breasted Flycatcher
Barn Swallow
Grey Wagtail
Ashy Drongo
Black-crested Bulbul
Red-wattled Lapwing
Black Drongo
Brown Shrike
Pale Blue Flycatcher
Sultan Tit
Thick-billed Green Pigeon
Asian Fairy Bluebird
Ochraceous Bulbul
Black-and-yellow Broadbill
Oriental Pied Hornbill
Greater Racket-tailed Drongo
Olive-backed Sunbird
Indochinese Cuckooshrike
Shikra (or possibly Japanese Sparrowhawk)
Green-eared Barbet
Chinese Pond Heron
Blue Pitta
Streaked Spiderhunter
Everett's White-eye
Emerald Dove
Orange-bellied Leafbird
Dark-sided Flycatcher
Mountain Hawk Eagle (or possibly Changeable)
Plain-tailed Warbler
Fire-breasted Flowerpecker
Yellow-vented Flowerpecker
Olive-backed Pipit
Flavescent Bulbul
Grey-eyed Bulbul
Grey Treepie
Bronzed Drongo
Spotted Dove

And some logistics considerations:
- Entrance fee for foreigners is still 200 Baht / person / day. If you don't stay within the Park, you have to pay the fee for every daily entrance.
- In the latter situation you will have to hire some local guide with a 4x4 truck to get you there and back. Can find them at the Visitor Center (watch out ! they barely speak English, although it is a bloody Visitor Center !!), close to Kaeng Krachan town. Cost is 1200 BHT for one day to Ban Krang and return, or 1600 BHT to Phanoen Thung and return.
- At Ban Krang there's a small Visitor Center too, with some useful banners displaying the most usual bird species around, as well as mammals, bugs, insects etc. They even have English names ! :)
- Getting to Ban Krang is possible at all times during opening hours. Getting further up, to Phanoen Thung, is subject to one-way restrictions: upwards from 7 AM to 8.30 AM and from 1 PM to 2.30 PM, downwards from 9 AM to 10 AM and again from 4 PM.

Tip: at Ban Krang, pay attention to the track that crosses the small river, just 50 m left and downhill as you get to BK Camp. You'll probably have to take off your shoes to cross the stream. Then the track splits to the right (leading to some apparently abandoned Youth Camp) and forward, where you see a barrier (but you can walk beside it). Go for the track beyond the barrier, into the jungle ! For some reason, it seems that many birders tend to overlook this place, but I can assure you it's very rewarding, and not only in terms of birds ! Just be there at 7 or 8 AM, or in the afternoon, when birds are most active. Bonus: monkeys jumping from one tree to another, maybe some deer, jungle sound all around. Downside for photographers: poor light conditions except a few open places.

Happy KK birding !

Last edited:
In addition to my post above, already long enough, I'd like to say a few words about the location where I stayed for 3 days - the Kaeng Krachan Boathouse Paradise Resort (find it on Google).

The main reason why I think it's worth mentioning is the bird list I have gathered just sitting there by the pool and doing nothing, or walking around in the garden:

Common Sandpiper
Common Kingfisher
Great Egret
Purple Heron
Cattle Egret
Striated Heron
Whiskered Tern
Little Egret
Red-breasted Flycatcher
Barn Swallow
Osprey
Stonechat
Gull-billed Tern
Hoopoe
White-vented Myna
Common Myna
Oriental Magpie Robin
Asian Palm Swift
Asian Open Bill
Asian Pied Starling
Red-wattled Lapwing
Indian Roller
Black Drongo
Little Cormorant
Brown Shrike
Richard's Pipit
Scaly-breasted Munia
Scarlet-backed Flowerpecker
Spotted Owlet
Streak-eared Bulbul
White-breasted Waterhen
Black-capped Kingfisher
Common Tailorbird

Some species I haven't seen in the NP itself ! (but they are there, for sure). Much better photo conditions, no hurry, just relax and do birding !

The resort is situated by the lakeshore, some 7 km upwards from the Visitor Center. It is not a budget location, but it returns a very good value for the money. We paid 7000 Baht for 4 nights, breakfast included - not at all a high price by any other standard than Thai. The view is magnificent, the whole atmosphere is perfect for holiday. Fair meal selection, Thai & Western, for a decent price (considering that there's nothing else around). If you go to KK with your family / spouse / girlfriend or boyfriend and birding doesn't account for 100% of your time, then it's the best choice.

Well done.

Were the Blue Pitta easy by any chance?, and where were your sightings of the Pitta. I will be in KK in 11 days time, so any tips would be gratefully received.

Many thanks, Matt

Matt, I spotted Blue Pitta on my way up to Phanoen Thung, pretty close actually to the camp (< 1 km). Time was around 8.30. Poor light, no photo, fortunately Blue Pitta is distinctive enough not to make any confusion :)
As a basic rule: if you do birding at Phanoen Thung, just stay close to the road or in the open spaces around the camp - it's productive enough, even at noon (unlike Ban Krang, mostly dead at noon).
If you are interested in butterflies too, Ban Krang is by far the best place.

If you need any other tip&trick, feel free to ask, I'll answer to the extent of my knowledge :D

The best area for Blue Pitta is between streams 1 and 3 up from Ban Krang, Never seen them beyond the third stream, and usually between 1 and 2.

"Tip: at Ban Krang, pay attention to the track that crosses the small river, just 50 m left and downhill as you get to BK Camp. You'll probably have to take off your shoes to cross the stream. Then the track splits to the right (leading to some apparently abandoned Youth Camp) and forward, where you see a barrier (but you can walk beside it). Go for the track beyond the barrier, into the jungle ! For some reason, it seems that many birders tend to overlook this place, but I can assure you it's very rewarding, and not only in terms of birds ! Just be there at 7 or 8 AM, or in the afternoon, when birds are most active. Bonus: monkeys jumping from one tree to another, maybe some deer, jungle sound all around. Downside for photographers: poor light conditions except a few open places."

They didn't warn you about the Elephant and Tiger here then Florin? ;)

The best area for Blue Pitta is between streams 1 and 3 up from Ban Krang, Never seen them beyond the third stream, and usually between 1 and 2.

Then I guess I just had the beginner's luck ! :)

They didn't warn you about the Elephant and Tiger here then Florin? ;)

Maybe they did... in Thai, and I didn't understand. :-O Anyway, meeting a tiger or an elephant would have been something I had rather wished than hated. Or at least this is what I'm feeling right now as I'm sitting in front of my computer and writing this.

That aside, I'd like to thank you, Mark, for repeatedly helping me with ID's. I guess I never mentioned: it was my first trip to Asia - not only to Thailand - so I got pretty lost in (bird)space. Robson's guide helped a lot, but it cannot do the whole job alone.

Hi -- are there chalets or bungalows inside Kaeng Krachan park? We're going there next June for 4 days and would like to avoid paying the daily entrance fee if possible, but our camping days are long past. If there are bungalows, has anyone stayed in them, and can give advice/tips on what they're like, which to avoid, and whether to bring own food?Thanks!

There's only been camping inside, although a new area has been under construction and I don't know when that will open or what will be there.
The main HQ currently is outside the actual and there are bungalows there, but I'm pretty sure that you would still need to purchase entrance tickets.

Last time we stayed overnight, camping, we still had to pay entrance fees for both days. This seems to be variable regarding how serious they are about it, but be prepared to pay entrance fees every day even if you camp!
By contrast, Doi Inthanon is great, with a ticket allowing access for several days.

I may be wrong with some of this and very much welcome others to chip in, contradicting as needed :)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back