• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Just deleted three important pics of my 5D M2, is it lost forever? (1 Viewer)

Bewick

Connoisseur of WTL
United Kingdom
By accident, when freeing up space, I deleted a couple of photos from my camera. I haven't used it since, is there any way I can recover these pics.

There used to be undelete programs that could be run by a pc when the card was connected using a card reader. I assume these programs still exist. It will be important not to take further pictures onto this card before attempting the recovery, because it won’t work if you overwrite the space with a new picture.

Avoiding this situation is one of the reasons I don’t delete individual pictures on the camera, only after having transferred to a PC.
Niels

Hello Bewick,
I agree with Niels:

if you havent used the camera (or better the CF card inside), than they are still there= no new pictures are written over them.

So dont use this CF anymore and put another card in your camera. When back at home, try to restore them. There are many free programms available that might well be enough. For example Recuva, available for example here: Recuva

And if the pictures are really important, than there are proffesionals that can recover them for sure (but this is expensive), if and thats most important: you dont use this card anymore (until the lost pictures are back and safed elsewhere)

There used to be undelete programs that could be run by a pc when the card was connected using a card reader. I assume these programs still exist. It will be important not to take further pictures onto this card before attempting the recovery, because it won’t work if you overwrite the space with a new picture.

Avoiding this situation is one of the reasons I don’t delete individual pictures on the camera, only after having transferred to a PC.
Niels.
I have it downloaded but will it work even if I wait a few days to do it? I will be using a spare SD card until my adapters get here.

I have not used the camera since to take pictures.

Hello again,

dont panic: as Niels said, just put the card (where the pictures are still there, just marked as deleted) out of the camera and dont use this card anymore.

Hello again,
than you can sleep well. As said, you can be confident that you can recover the pictures from your card later (but dont use this card again, until the pictures are recovered)

Hello again,

there are quite a few tutorial videos available that might help you. For example here

I dont know, how good the advertised programm Disk Drill is, but a quick google search says that the trial version is really for free (I think you pay with your personal data. But please dont forget that making a programm is work and the person behind has the right to be paid for it. Different topic I know).

I hope that others with more knowledge jump in. Thanks from me too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back