• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Jordan bird photography (1 Viewer)

Davecr24

Hi Guys, myself and a couple of friends are going to jordan for bird photography trip is there concerns we need to be aware of as I've seen threads on bins being confiscated? Are we likely to get stopped with our large lenses? Many thanks Dave

Hi Guys, myself and a couple of friends are going to jordan for bird photography trip is there concerns we need to be aware of as I've seen threads on bins being confiscated? Are we likely to get stopped with our large lenses? Many thanks Dave
Bump

Looks like no one knows which doesn't seem good...
You might contact Jordan Birdwatch via this link: Contact - JBW Contact Jordan BirdWatch

You will have to fill in the form on that page with the required details. It will automatically be sent from that page

Professor Fares Khoury represents BirdLife International on Jordan (as Manager of Projects and Fundraising), is chairman of the Jordan Rare Birds Committee and no doubt can advise, or knows someone who can advise.
MJB
PS This link may also be useful: JORDAN

You might contact Jordan Birdwatch via this link: Contact - JBW Contact Jordan BirdWatch

You will have to fill in the form on that page with the required details. It will automatically be sent from that page

Professor Fares Khoury represents BirdLife International on Jordan (as Manager of Projects and Fundraising), is chairman of the Jordan Rare Birds Committee and no doubt can advise, or knows someone who can advise.
MJB
PS This link may also be useful: JORDAN
Thank you so much fingers-crossed 🤞

At your peril. We went to Jordan last summer and I never felt comfortable wearing binoculars let alone a large lens. Binos were confiscated at the Dead Sea hotel we stayed at and on the return journey I was forced to put my binoculars into the hold. Nobody seemed to get it. Nobody was into birds. The attached snapshot shows the hotspot comparison between Israel and Jordan at Eilat/Aqaba and it sums up the lack of interest perfectly. Btw I’m sure you could also have a hassle free trip.

Attachments

• D97C90FF-A002-49C6-8CCD-44AB3986F975.jpeg
    D97C90FF-A002-49C6-8CCD-44AB3986F975.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 26
In the end after horror stories I took just a bridge camera and our second string binoculars, we were Ok but we did have delays at each security point in the airports entering as well as leaving not sure it would have been any different if I had taken SLR and long lens.

Hi Dave,
I don't have firsthand experience with Jordan specifically, I can provide some general insights. Have a fantastic time capturing the beauty of the country's avian wonders!

I went to Jordan for 3 weeks in june last year, although not specifically for birdwatching. I was not aware of any possible ban on binoculars or (big) camera's, so I had my binoculars with me, as well as a big backpack with a dslr, a 200-500mm lens and 3 other lenses including a tilt-shift, and a tripod for architectural photography. I haven't had any questions anywhere, not in the airport and not in the country itself. Maybe I have just been lucky, who knows? Hope this helps a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back