• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Johannesburg 8 hr layover - suggestions? (1 Viewer)

pbjosh

missing the neotropics
Switzerland
Heya folks,

I will be in Western and Northern Cape and S Namibia for a good two months from mid May - mid July, mostly just being a tourist and enjoying with my partner and my mother but with as much casual / opportunistic birding as possible squeezed in.

However I booked myself an 8hr layover in Joburg with the thought of escaping the airport for a quick bit of birding.

Thoughts on where I should go near the airport for a half day of birding? I have the bird finding guide and I have read some stuff about Korsman Bird Sanctuary and Bullfrog Pan but don't have up to date info about access or security. I would prefer a place that I can get to and from with a cab and that will be safe for a solo birder wandering around with backpack and bins. I'm happy to go chasing specialties or just to go birding, but will probably prefer to stay close to the airport rather than try to cross town or the like. Any input/suggestions would be greatly valued!

Also, is there by chance a bag check at the airport where I could safely store my backpack with camera and scope in it for the day?

Huge thanks in advance!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back