• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Japan/Yokohama/Mitsukyo Citizens' Forest (2 Viewers)

Charles Harper

Régisseur
Japan
Japan/Yokohama/Seya Citizens' Forest

6.15.03, 10 am - 12 noon; Drizzly. First official patch day, and the weather inauspicious. I hadn't been here in June for almost ten years, though I bird it every other season. The seasonal change in habitat is surprising, quite drastic: open woodland has turned to closed canopy with the fullness of the foliage; open lawn has turned to waist-high grasses; waterholes I always check at other seasons are completely hidden, overgrown with weeds.

Bird species have changed too: no longer the variety we have in winter, I tally only 15 species, and few of most. However, there are more than usual of Japanese White-eyes, Great Tits, Eurasian Tree Sparrows, Barn Swallows and Japanese Pygmy Woodpeckers, many of which are young of the year, distinguishable at a distance by their bumblings and flutterings.

There are changes of a more permanent nature also. A couple of new truck gardens have been surreptitously carved from the weedy no-man's-land between the U.S. Navy base proper and the municipal forest. The Citizens' Forest is managed for and on behalf of the citizens of Yokohama, and so the planted cedars-- the bulk of the forest-- are pruned, culled and logged for and on behalf of the citizens. They exist in sections of varying ages, and this trip, a wedge of thick young trees of 10-12 cm. diameter, among whose tangle of branches I have always been checking hopefully for an owl-- any owl!-- has had all its branches trimmed to a height of about 4 meters and the ground beneath all neatly raked about the boles. It doesn't look at all owlish any more.

Finally, you should know that the Japanese have an incurable itch to improve upon Nature: when a kiosk or hide is built in a natural area, for instance, they cannot be restrained from planting ornamental shrubbery around, and importing decorative boulders. In my patch, they have now tastefully lined a length of its little stream with artistic rockeries, and put in a lovely hydrangea hedge. They put in some koi (carp) too, but these have evidently all died or been eaten or stolen.

One thing that we can do with our patches is keep track of the permanent changes being wrought by man or acts of God or Government and see whether or how much these changes link to changes in the birds we see there. Patch work of this kind, over the long haul, should produce information that can be used in supporting local conservation efforts.

Last edited:
Hi Charles-know what you mean about things looking different in summer. Like you say a patch of short grass turns into jungle in a matter of days.

I haven`t mapped my patch yet-basically it`s the whole of the town with 3 distinct areas probably roughly equivalent to yours size-wise (I`m guessing) and one larger one (the cape and forested "mountain"). Like you say the Japanese don`t leave much alone-the 2 rivers in Hakodate are mostly concrete though the cape/mountain has some unspoilt trails.

Got bird number 112 on my all time Hakodate list today........some compensation for the misery of an attempt at giving up smoking.......

Hi CHarles & Michaels:
Reading your reports makes me ache to someday visit Japan as a rekindeling venture when I was young and a sailor visiting many ports.
However, I don not expect to find the Japan I had left behind in 1953 which was still in tact and not AMERICANIZED..
It is amazing how I followed the actions and the outcome of the US foreign department since the end of WW2, demanding that all Colonial Nations give up there occupation and stop stealing the colonies blind. (Foreign occupation ment education, work and enlightment of reailzing that other nationalities do exist) when all was said and done, the US foreign department embark't to instead of personally occupy those so called colonies, but occupy them financially, a greater enemy then they had before and altering the local norms to be that of the American way of life....
so instead of having the probability of most of the word to speak German ( if Hitler had suceeded) they all now speak American....
To bad, that the local Japanese norms are to always better what nature has given to them, just to suit there vision and or likes,,
Charles, the areas known to you arround our city of Edmonton, are not altered :) so you know where to go and what to find when you ever return to this beautiful past you left behind.
regards (arigato)
Walther.

Last edited:
Thanks Walther, and an interesting overview of the postwar.

Is 'truck garden' American English only? It's a small private garden of mixed vegetables, produced primarily for personal consumption or sold locally. I don't know the legal status of the said land, but evidently much of the peripheral land 'owned' (the warning signs say) by the U.S. Navy is in fact leased or lent to area Japanese for such gardening. The Navy property borders the municipal forest. Little truck gardens have a way of being gradually extended furrow by furrow farther into the park, or a new one established right flush up against the treeline. I've seen it in national parks too-- take a little-used side trail, and you may find a clearing with a half dozen tangerine trees or a potato patch nestled in its sunny spot.

Thanks for an interesting report on your patch Charles. I like your idea of keeping track of man-made changes to see how these affect the birdlife. I, too, had never heard the expression 'truck garden' although in England one of my relatives used to have something called an 'allotment' on which he grew flowers and veg. I guess this would be the same thing?

Hi Charles- a truck garden is called 'allotment' in northwest England (Michael/Birdman-what are they called in the northeast?). There aren`t so many here in Hakodate though down on the fishing harbour a lot of the houses have squid drying out....

Allotments here too (and everywhere in Britain), but they're legal, rather than illicit.

I did find something more like this once in Denmark, in a large area of young trees planted around an industrial estate - a gap where the trees had been cleared, and neat rows of small Cannabis sativa in their place . . .

Michael

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back