• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Japan - Hokkaido help required (1 Viewer)

sacha

Hi,
This is the first time i have tried starting a thread, so hope i have done it in the right way!
My girlfriend and i are heading to Japan in a few weeks time on a birding/holiday
I have seen quite a few trip reports and booked the Furhen lodge- Hokkaido for a few nights. On our first night we were planning to stay near the Akan Crane site/sites. Does anyone know an easy place to find (bearing in mind we will have travelled from Norfolk via 2 planes/2 cars 1 train etc to get there and will be pretty knackered!) - I have heard the 'Drive Inn Tsuru' mentioned but can't find more online about it
Also, looks like all the Mark Brazil where to watch bird books seem very expensive/hard to get now - am i mad to go there without this guide book?
Main targets are (of course) the eagles, cranes, alciids and with luck B Owl
Any advice/help would be great!
Sacha

Hi Sacha

There is a little info here on Opus which may give you some ideas until someone comes along with more details for you.

HTH

D

I suggest you join the kantori group for expat birders in Japan. They'll point you in the right direction.

I've never stayed in Kushiro but I'm sure there's plenty of info online if you do a thorough search

If you haven't already planned to go there I also recommend you try Shiretoko for the Stellers Sea Eagles.

The Mark Brazil guide is out of print. I have it. The inn you mentioned above is in there (tel 0154 66-3073) and there's another inn (too the Drive Inn Taito, tel 0154 64-2010). The book is about 20 years old though so I wouldn't worry about coming to Japan without it. A search on trip reports to Japan will yield more current information.

I'm in Hokkaido..............but in the south (where no birders ever seem to venture). You can check my blog for some tasters of the birds you'll see.

Last edited:
That's great. Cheers for all the info Stu and Delia. Looking forward to visiting and to all the great birds (and food!)
Just a few final questions- is it likely to be snowing by the end of this month or is it usually later? We are just passing through southern Hokkaido when we get the ferry south back to Tokyo. Have you seen plenty of seabirds on the southbound ferry journey?

PS Enjoyed the blog - fantastic Harlequin shots. Can't wait to see some males (i have only seen two imm/females in Scotland many years ago

Sacha

Hi Sacha. The first snows usually come towards the end of November/start of December. It'll probably be cold and icy in north/east Hokkaido by the end of this month. Last winter was very mild in Hokkaido but the winter before was unusually long and harsh...............don't know about this one yet. It's mild and sunny at the moment outside my window as I type this but that'll change in a week or so. Bring a down jacket, some decent boots and thermals anyway. It'll be colder than the UK for sure.

I've never done that ferry trip (from Tomakomai right?) but have heard both directions are as good for birds. You should get plenty. The much shorter ferry journey from near me to the north of Honshu I have done before in winter............lots of Guilemots I recall.

Have a great trip!

I've stayed at the Kushiro Prince Hotel twice - it's about 10 minutes walk from the train station and nice enough, with great views over the harbour. Rent a car from one of the outlets near the station - I made the booking online first, I'd recommend doing that (dont forget your international driving permit) and you can park at the hotel as well, before you go to Furen-ko etc. Only managed to hear the BFO at Hattaushi (sp.?) Bridge but didn't see it.

Try all the places in the web report, if you have time, also Akkeshi Bay for ducks, eagles, gulls, Kirittappu for ducks and great sea views, Ochiisi and Nosappu Misaki for guillemots, cormorants etc apart from the places mentioned already.

Great birding - would love to go there again next year!

Ken

Hi Ken, Thanks for the tips. We have booked the car online and remembered the Intl permit! We are collecting the from the airport as we are flying to Kushiro - I was worried about driving into town in the dark after a long journey from Norfolk so we were going to drive north and try and stay near the Crane site but it seems impossible to pre book these hotels/Motels online - I may head to the one you have mentioned as i know my girlfriend will kill me if we drive all night looking for somewhere to stay without success. Thanks,
Sacha

Hi Ken, Thanks for the tips. We have booked the car online and remembered the Intl permit! We are collecting the from the airport as we are flying to Kushiro - I was worried about driving into town in the dark after a long journey from Norfolk so we were going to drive north and try and stay near the Crane site but it seems impossible to pre book these hotels/Motels online - I may head to the one you have mentioned as i know my girlfriend will kill me if we drive all night looking for somewhere to stay without success. Thanks,
Sacha

I stayed in the ANA hotel in Kushiro in 2005 and can recommend it:
http://web.travel.rakuten.co.jp/portal/my/info_page_e.Eng?f_no=891

Driving there from the airport is really not that daunting- easy roads and gentle traffic. So assuming you are not pressed for time, a much better option than heading straight up to crane sites, I would suggest.

(My a trip report is here in case of interest/assistance. Try also Richard Klim's report from the same site. http://www.birdtours.co.uk/tripreports/s-korea/korea6/kor-jap-feb-05.htm.)

By all means drop me a PM if you have any questions.

Last edited:
Great report thanks Ed- especially the detailed owl directions - like yourself i would much rather see them there than further north!
I think i will pre book something in Kushiro city as the 30mins drive sounds fairly straight forward..... Can't wait to get there now..only a few days to go
Sacha

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back