• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

January Moths (1 Viewer)

Paul Chapman

I thought that I would kick this one off.

Trying to keep a pan-species patch list this year - I'll see how long I last! - so I hope to maintain a bit more local mothing activity this year. Clevedon & Portishead patch moth-list for January so far:-

998 - Light Brown Apple Moth Epiphyas postvittana
1047 - Acleris schalleriana
1799 - Winter Moth Operophtera brumata
2258 - Chestnut Conistra vaccinii
2259 - Dark Chestnut Consitra ligula
2441 - Silver Y Autographa gamma

The Silver Y was a significant surprise on Saturday morning though I had heard of a few migrants recorded on the south coast.

For those interested in broader wildlife, I attach a link to a blog where various people are endeavouring to record 1,000 species in a 1km square:- http://1000for1ksq.blogspot.co.uk/

My patch is significantly larger than a 1km square and this level of competence is far beyond me but purely as a personal comparison I'll be trying to keep an eye on a single 1km square in particular within it. At the moment I'm proving to myself that I cannot identify Fungi, Slugs, Snails, Spiders, Diptera and most Plants and that I am very jealous of almost everyone else for being far more competent than me.

All the best

I have sympathy. I'm seriously considering ignoring most plants and fungi (and beetles, flies, etc, etc.)! Slugs and snails are proving more fun though.

Two moths so far: The Chestnut and a suspected Acleris schalleriana, which I'll have to get checked.

Also one larva found in a teasel head which turns out to be Endothenia gentianaeana. Photos attached.

Attachments

• endothenia_gentianaeana_larva_teasel_6jan13_800p_0419.jpg
    endothenia_gentianaeana_larva_teasel_6jan13_800p_0419.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 45
  • endothenia_gentianaeana_larva_anal_plate_6jan13_400l_0419.jpg
    endothenia_gentianaeana_larva_anal_plate_6jan13_400l_0419.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 36
  • chestnut_5jan13_800p_0403.jpg
    chestnut_5jan13_800p_0403.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 51
I thought that I would kick this one off.

Trying to keep a pan-species patch list this year - I'll see how long I last! - so I hope to maintain a bit more local mothing activity this year. Clevedon & Portishead patch moth-list for January so far:-

998 - Light Brown Apple Moth Epiphyas postvittana
1047 - Acleris schalleriana
1799 - Winter Moth Operophtera brumata
2258 - Chestnut Conistra vaccinii
2259 - Dark Chestnut Consitra ligula
2441 - Silver Y Autographa gamma

All the best

Well the big freeze pretty much put paid to the rest of the month but my patch moth yearlist crept up to 11 by the end of January with:-

240 – Case-bearing Clothes Moth – Tinea pellionella – 13.01.13 - clearly the colony in my living room is surving at a limited level
476 – Acrolepia autumnitella – 27.01.13 - an individual potted up that was flying around a local coffeeshop
697 – Agonopterix arenella – 31.01.13 - an individual on the outside lights of a local pub (which I'll scrutinise a bit more carefully at the weekend)
1934 – Dotted Border - Agriopis marginaria – 29.01.13 - to MV light in the garden
1960 – Early Moth - Theria primaria – 31.01.13 - to MV light in the garden

All the best

697 – Agonopterix arenella – 31.01.13 - an individual on the outside lights of a local pub (which I'll scrutinise a bit more carefully at the weekend)

All the best

On closer examination, the 697 – Agonopterix arenella - actually looks like a worn 688 - Agonopterix heracliana. I know that they look nothing alike but I do not ordinarily drink before Agonopterix identification!

All the best

697 – Agonopterix arenella – 31.01.13 - an individual on the outside lights of a local pub which I'll scrutinise a bit more carefully at the weekend

Great way of mothing. I, too, spend a lot of time "mothing" at the pub lights.
Jono

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back