• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ivalo area, Finland - Xmas 2008 (1 Viewer)

wolfbirder

I am getting married in this area (subject to booking availability) at Xmas 2008.
Wonder if anyone had any experience of birding at this time of year in northern Finland/Lapland.

Excuse my total ignorance, I know the average daily temp is minus 15C. Is it just too cold for any birds?

My dream has always been to see a Great Grey Owl, but I suspect paying a local guide for a day out (if there were to be any) would probably be futile due to the weather and associated blocked roads. Are there many / any Great Grey Owls in this area? What else might I see nearby?

Any help would be gratefully received.

Remember that Ivalo is situated at 68°N so I imagine the sun won't be rising until well into January, so it'll be pretty murky, although you'll probably get some twilight in the middle of the day and be able to bird by streetlight!

E

I've only been to the area in June when daylight was not a problem. From what I remember however, Siberian Tit and Pine Grosbeak are much easier to see in winter when they attend feeders. For more information, I suggest contacting the authors of this site: http://www.karhut.org/inari/

Stuart

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back