• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Israel - information wanted (1 Viewer)

Rich Bonser

Hi all

Does anybody have any recent information (especially last winter) on birding in this once popular birding country? Obviously, with the recent political unrest, it appears that this has become a bit of a black hole with regard to information.

Of particular interest, I would gladly welcome any details for Long-billed Pipits as well as winter raptors within the Hula area. My itinerary will also include the south and winter spots for Oriental Skylark and Syrian Serin would be much appreciated.

Obviously, I have patrolled the websites etc and feel that I have gleaned a fair bit of info from these but any further information would be excellent.

All the best and good birding

Rich

Rich,

I am lucky enough to have visited Israel many times. The Hula is spectacular in autumn and winter. For wintering raptors you should visit Urim. At dusk in the Hula you will have all the Harriers plus many Night Herons flying over you to feed up during the night..take mozzie repellant!

For great B and B's you should stay at Ramot Naftali. This moshav (collective farm) overlooks the Hula, and in spring you can breakfast on the terrace and have fly-by Lesser Spotted Eagle, Thousands of White Storks, Ospreys, Short-toed Eagles, etc, etc (the list is too long).

Stay with my friends Alber and Esther at Ramot Naftali, but make sure you are hungry at breakfast.. cos it is huge.

Eldan do decent price rent a car from Tel Aviv airport.

Reading: Gosney: Bidwatching in Israel.
Anything by Hadoram Shirihai.
www.birdingisrael.com

Sorry I haven't the time to go into more depth this evening.

John.

Hi Rich,

The traditional sites for Long-billed Pipit are Mt. Arbel and Gamla, both near the Sea of Galilee. Also while in the north, it is worthwhile to check orchards in the Golan Heights for Pine Bunting and Red-fronted Serin.

The Hula Valley in winter is spectacular. It is loaded with raptors. You will see Greater Spotted Eagle and Imperial Eagle without difficulty, and the number of Black Kites is impressive. Lots of Long-legged Buzzards, too. Just cruise the fields north of the nature reserve (and check out the reflooded area as well for waterbirds).

As John mentioned, Urim is a must on a winter birding itinerary, and not just for its raptors (including Imperial Eagle and Saker). Enormous flocks of Pin-tailed Sandgrouse occur here as well.

Oriental Skylark is regular in winter in the southern Arava. Check the fields of Samar, Yotvata, Qetura, and Lotan. Not sure about locales for Syrian Serin.

When you're in the south, don't forget to look for Striated Scops Owl in Wadi Shachamon (on the outskirts of Eilat) and/or Wadi Qetura.

Enjoy your trip.

-Adam

Hi again, Rich.

Current news from the Bet Shean Valley (Kfar Rupin - Maoz Haim) includes Sociable Plover, Oriental Skylark, Richard's Pipit, and Citrine Wagtail.

-Adam

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back