• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is this a good deal...Pentax scope... (1 Viewer)

cohenfive

I could use some price advice here, US residents please..

I think I may be able to snag a new PF-65EDii scope with 20-60x Pentax eye piece (also new) for $500. I am looking for a mid priced scope for birding and this sounds like it might be a good value. Advice would be appreciated. My alternative is a Nikon Fieldscope iii 60mm with 20-45x eyepiece (used but mint) for probably $400, but if I can get an ed scope I would prefer it.

Thanks in advance

I've had both. I do think you'd like the ED version better but the Nikon is built like a tank. The PF is nice. Some of the 20-60 eyepieces were dogs. Your price reflects a decent premium for the ep. Try to see if it's the one with the good eye relief and suits you well. It has been a long time since I looked at the specs of the eyepieces but there was a "dog" version of the zoom and a decent one. Maybe someone else recalls but I think it was a narrow version with short eye relief. Can you try before you buy?

Unfortunately I cannot, one shot deal. I will ask about the eyepiece, believe that Pentax makes two versions, both of which have ed glass so not sure why one would be bad. Thanks.

Smokin Hot Deal !

I could use some price advice here, US residents please..

I think I may be able to snag a new PF-65EDii scope with 20-60x Pentax eye piece (also new) for $500. I am looking for a mid priced scope for birding and this sounds like it might be a good value. Advice would be appreciated. My alternative is a Nikon Fieldscope iii 60mm with 20-45x eyepiece (used but mint) for probably $400, but if I can get an ed scope I would prefer it.

Thanks in advance
Hi .. If you can truly get both new for $500 buy it now & run !!!!! I have purchased & owned three. If its the SMC #70509 The cheapest I have seen that zoom new was $300 last year & the scope around $400-450. Even if you don't like the zoom I will give you $250. for it & you can buy some other 1.25" zoom or fixed 1.25"eyepieces . You will be amazed when using some other eyepieces how well this performs . Do not buy the Nikon , the fieldscope eyepieces are not user friendly & if you use eyeglasses you will regret it.... gwen.

Last edited:
There is the Pentax SMC 8-24 mm eyepiece that is more expensive and has more eye relief and the Pentax SMC XF 6.5 x 19.5 mm eyepiece that doesn't cost as much.

I would say this spotter has the XF version. The price you quote is more than $300 off from new. The XF zoom is lighter, the SMC zoom is over a pound and the XF zoom is about a 1/2 pound.

I had the Nikon 60mm Fieldscope and liked it a lot.The fellow I sold it to liked it better than a Bushnell Ultra Legend 15x45x60mm scope, he sent the Bushnell back. He could make out a distant sign writing with the Nikon and not the Bushnell. There is CA of course and it is worse this time of year if there is snow. I have the ED version now.

I see Gwen replied while I was still typing.;) I don't wear glasses so the shorter eye relief doesn't bother me and I have the fixed power eyepieces as well.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. I confirmed with the seller that the scope comes with the Pentax XF SMC 6.5-19.5mm eyepiece. It may not be perfect but the ep generally gets reasonably good reviews. Overall it also sounds like it is a pretty good deal at $500. I only want a mid priced scope, and understand that I will get better performance if I am able to spend more money..which I am not at the moment. The question is whether I can get a better scope/eyepiece for the money, and it doesn't really sound like I can...unless I am missing something from the comments. Thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back