• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is there a bad month for Minsmere? (1 Viewer)

amelia1730

When would be the best time to visit Minsmere?
It will be my first visit and I was thinking Aug/Sept possibly. Any info would be gratefully received. Trying to find a good place to stay nearby but can't seem to find what I want. Any suggestions???.............
Many thanks

When would be the best time to visit Minsmere?
It will be my first visit and I was thinking Aug/Sept possibly. Any info would be gratefully received. Trying to find a good place to stay nearby but can't seem to find what I want. Any suggestions???.............
Many thanks

Amelia,
there is never a bad time to visit Minsmere, but in truth some months can be more productive than others. I would say go in september, peak migration time is traditionally sep/oct and at a place like Mins anything can turn up! Just looking at my log book for last year, I have Red Footed Falcon, Little Stint, Curlew Sandpipers in september. October was even better- Lapland Bunting, Great Skua, Brent Geese,Shorelark, Snow Bunting and nearby at Thorpeness a lovely Red Flanked Bluetail! Its a great reserve, I try and get there once a week during university holidays. Even on a quiet day there is always a chance of Bittern, Bearded Tit and Barn Owl close by. Enjoy your trip whenever you go.
Jim.

Gonna have to disagree...Minsmere is a flagship RSPB reserve BUT a pig to get to...if you are planning to visit the general area then "Yay2

or even Yay, huzzah BUT if its a general trip to the SE then there are many sites of easier access that allow good birding...it depends on targets, etc...Minsmere, Dunwich is pretty darn good but so are many other sites that, hopefully more locally based folk can advise you about...

I can only presume that mcMadd knowledge of the geography of the East of England is not good as Cambridgeshire joins Suffolk so the journey is not that bad.

i'd go for mid/end Sept as well but there is normally lots of good things to see.

Refering to the original question, I reckon January is a bad month for Minsmere. Every time I have been there in mid winter, it has been rubbish. It lacks the big expanses of water for quality waterbirds, is not good for seaducks, the woodlands are small and birdless in winter and there are better places to try to see bops or bitterns at that time of year.

Definitely a spring/autumn kinda place.

I think rubbish might be a bit harsh John! True, it may be quiet in January (and winter in general) but its still not a bad time of year to be out birding at Minsmere. Just looking back I have seen Smew, Shorelark, Snow Bunting and Hen Harrier during winter. I dont think there is a better place in the country to see Bittern whatever the time of year. For waders and raptors Norfolk is the place to be in winter, but Minsmere is still a good day out. If it is quiet, its worth combining the visit with other coastal sites- Southwold is better for seawatching and Twite are often present further along the coast. Oh, and Westleton for Waxwing!

I've found August hard going especially if the scrape dries up making little available in front of the hides.
Absolute best times- late May, everything seems to be on a plate in front of you.

Well of course everything is relative. Clearly its not rubbish compared to my back garden, but it is rubbish compared to many other leading birding spots in East Anglia during January. Titchwell, Holkham, Lynford Arboretum, Hickling Broad area, Buckingham marshes, to name a few of my prefered January spots. I cant help thinking while walking around Minsmere in January "Gosh, I wish I was at one of those aforementioned sites instead"! And those birds you mention are nice enough, but I venture that you clocked them up after a fair amount of legwork over the January's of past, whereas for some other sites they are commonplace.

Sorry, I'm not quite sure where I'm going with this. As you were...

I've found that the answer is no. There are bad days in January and February where it seems nothing is there, but go the next day and you can be surprised. For me the worst time is summer when *some* people seem intent on power walking their hi-vis from hide to hide as noisily as possible. I get some very weird looks standing still and quiet. One chap actually asked me 'what are you up to?' as if he'd caught me burgling his garage. But I'm not really complaining, if that's the price of getting people involved in the countryside, fine, there are other places I can go for solitude, just saying it happens a lot (to me) at Minsmere.

For me, best times are now, May, September, October (immediately after first frost) December (for the surprises and the fact it's empty).

The canopy hide has never been anything but disappointing for me since the feeders were taken away, and the woodlands aren't great for birds, but are excellent for flowers and fungi. The best part is the walk from reception to reed bed hide, there's always something interesting down there (red deer, adders, grass snake, natterjack, muntjacks, stoats, firecrests, ring ouzels, mistlethrush, bearded tits, my highlights).

Last edited:
hi amelia
i would say for sheer amount of activity spring is best with all the warblers and nightingales singing bitterns booming loads of nesting activity of avocets terns etc,you may get more rarities in the autumn but for overall bird activity spring is best
all though i agree with everyone else that there isn't really a bad time especially if the weather is on your side
also westleton heath is just up the road for dartford warbler and nightjar
cheers

Mid day on a Sunday is a bad time as it is full of non birders and families. Now Minsmere is open dawn to dusk before 9am and after 6pm is best as the more serious birder will be about then on a weekend.

The serious birder will be there when the situation suits, which could also mean midday on a Sunday. I have seen waders drop from the sky onto the scrape during thunderstorms at midday. Last September I think they had 16 Honey Buzzards over there throughout the day on a weekend as conditions suited....should they have stayed at home as it was a weekend?

your stance on Minsmere bears a strong resemblance to a surfbirds forums thread on hating Minsmere and its dudes eh "Beltonbirder"....Like I said..on to you../wink

just come back from visitng minsmere over 2 days, an afternoon / evening on 30th and a morning / early afternoon on 31st.

plenty of birds and wildlife for me although seasonality will mean some birds are present while others are not.

among many others on thursday we saw an artic skua, ruff, dunlin, great white egret. on friday 3 x bittern seen several times from the bittern hide and east mere hide, 2 x hobby, several marsh harrier. now was a good time as they have young to feed and move about a bit.

the highlight for us was near Bruisyard Hall, Bruisyard about 7pm where we chanced upon a barn owl quatering fields and were able to watch him for 30 minutes as he flew within 30 feet of us. beautiful sight. no little owls on that road this time.

no bad times to go to Minsmere IMHO, just different birds to be seen. i would just go and enjoy it, i do. good luck

I'm hoping to get to Minsmere and other places close to Kessingland were I'll be staying from the middle of next week so hope there will be plenty to see.

Hints and clues to good sites would be most welcome.

Di

I'm hoping to get to Minsmere and other places close to Kessingland were I'll be staying from the middle of next week so hope there will be plenty to see.

Hints and clues to good sites would be most welcome.

Di
This site has a list of some of the reserves in the area:
http://www.suffolkwildlife.co.uk/index.htm

This website also has a site guide for the Lowestoft area:
http://home.clara.net/ammodytes/

Kessingland itself is pretty good and you can walk past the sluice to Benacre Broad and the surrounding area, which is good for birds.

Minsmere has been very quiet for the past couple of weeks but hopefully should be picking up again soon. It is still a great place to visit even if it is not teeming with birds.

Ron

Last edited:
Thanks for the links Ron, very useful. Have printed out a reserve map and now just have to plot a route. I'll have serveral days so looking forward exploring an area I've never been too before.

Di

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back