• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is it true that Nikon are in financial trouble? (1 Viewer)

IAN JAMES THOMPSON

I’ve been reading a number of articles about Nikon where or are having financial problems. I’m still waiting for my order of the Nikon Coolpix P950 Digital Camera to be back in stock. I also phoned the online shop I’ve ordered my camera from and still no news when that camera will be back in stock, like everywhere else at present. Does anyone in the know, when or if that camera will be back in stock?

I bought one a few weeks ago and a lot of places were out of stock then too. Getting stuff from the Far East generally has been a nightmare this year. Got one in the end once I shopped around though and very happy with it

I’ve been reading a number of articles about Nikon where or are having financial problems. I’m still waiting for my order of the Nikon Coolpix P950 Digital Camera to be back in stock. I also phoned the online shop I’ve ordered my camera from and still no news when that camera will be back in stock, like everywhere else at present. Does anyone in the know, when or if that camera will be back in stock?
Nobody directly addressed your question. Nikon is doing fine and many of the negative comments are from influencers that can't read a financial statement. Nikon has increased their financial forecast of sales and profit for six consecutive quarters and have been profitable every year but one since 2012 in their Imaging division. Nikon is making some changes and began executing a change in strategy in 2018.

The basic strategy is to eliminate entry level cameras and lenses, and while that is in progress, it will be completed by 2025 as they sell down current products. The believe the smartphone has replaced the need for an entry level camera for most people. The entry level market has declined by more than 80% from the peak, and it's no longer cost effective to service and market through consumer electronic channels. This means a decline in market share but increased profit.

A second strategy is a transition to mirrorless cameras and lenses from DSLR cameras and lenses. Nikon is still going to produce and sell F-mount DSLR cameras and lenses through 2025, but with the elimination of entry level, it will be just 7% of revenue compared to 30% today. The Mirrorless segment is greater than DSLR sales today, and is expected to grow by 80% by 2025.

All of the current Nikon cameras and lenses are well regarded - sharp, well designed, etc. The Z9 is an excellent action camera for professionals, and is expected to be the starting point for future deployment of those technologies into additional enthusiast cameras in late 2022 and 2023.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back