• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Information Wanted on Wyre Forest (1 Viewer)

gnome

Hi all,
I'm looking for birding information on the Wyre Forest. I'm thinking of planning a trip up there from Oxfordshire and was wanting to know the best places to go, what I might be able to see etc.

From my limited research so far, around the Lodge Hill Farm and Knowles Hill area seems to be good and birds that I might expect include Pied Flycatcher, Spotted Flycatcher, Common Redstart, Wood Warbler, Tree Pipit and Mandarin Duck. I'd be most grateful for more detailed information on what I might expect and the best places to go.

I'd also be interested in access instructions: the areas that I've mentioned seem a long way from the Forest visitor centre so where should I park etc.

Hi Gnome,
The best place to park is at the bottom of Dry Mill Lane, from the visitors centre, head in to Bewdley. As you go down the hill in to the outskirts of Bewdley you will pass the Hop Pole Pub, you can either turn down Hop pole Lane immediatly past the pub, or turn down the next lane in to Little lakes Lane
and follow this lane until you get to the small shop then turn immediatly left in to Dry Mill Lane. after about half a mile the parking spaces are a short way up a track on your left, these parking spaces are at the start of the disused railway track which you follow to get to Lodge Hill Farm and Knowles coppice where the Pied Flycatchers nest.Most of the birds you mentioned can be found from the disused railway. there are a couple of footpaths down from the Railway track that cross Dowles Brook, look for Mandarin, Dipper and Wood Warbler here.
Jackie

Hi all,
Thanks very much for the info. I went there last week and managed to see most of my target birds: tree pipit on the track, pied and spotted flycatchers and a possible brief wood warbler in Knowles Coppice and the dipper in the brook. The mandarin ducks weren't anywhere to be found and I couldn't find any redstarts. I met some other birders who hadn't seen any redstarts either so it wasn't just me!

It was a great place to visit and I'll certainly be back. Thanks to everyone for their help.

I'm tempted to have a shot at the Pied Flycatchers on Monday. I understand Knowles Coppice is the best place to see them, but if anyone who has already seen them has any helpful information, it would be most welcome.

Send me a PM if you can help.

I'm tempted to have a shot at the Pied Flycatchers on Monday. I understand Knowles Coppice is the best place to see them, but if anyone who has already seen them has any helpful information, it would be most welcome.

Send me a PM if you can help.

I,m afraid you may be too late for this year, as far as I know the adults will already be heading back home by now and the youngsters won't be far behind them. Although I could be wrong, haven't been to that area for a while.
Jackie

Jackie

Your directions are spot on - thanks. Just worth mentioning that the the lane immediately after the Hop Pole Inn is very narrow.
But, a good inaugural trip to Wyre Forest was had this morning,
Finches a-plenty including Siskin, Redpolls and Goldfinches.
You can see some very shoddy pictures where I wanted confirmation of the birds' IDs here.

I did manage to take a couple more presentable ones (despite the awful light):

Attachments

• Jay_forum.jpg
    Jay_forum.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 79
  • Robin_1_forum.jpg
    Robin_1_forum.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 76
  • Nuthatches_forum.jpg
    Nuthatches_forum.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 72
  • Lesser Spotted Woodpecker_1_forum.jpg
    Lesser Spotted Woodpecker_1_forum.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back