• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Information on these binoculars if possible please. (1 Viewer)

tonytoned

Hello Everyone

I picked these binoculars up from an antiques shop today and have been trying to find more information about them. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.
They are as far as I know Japanese glass. Makers name Kanako 7x35 coated optics. The case does look British made, similar to Ross and Barr & Stroud type cases. They do look like quality binoculars though.
Thank you for your time.

20240420_185223.jpg20240420_185231.jpg20240420_185244.jpg20240420_185308.jpg20240420_185715.jpg20240420_185646.jpg20240420_185352.jpg

Very good condition, wide eyepieces.
Magnesium body, maybe high quality product.

Perhaps c.1970.

K optical company?

There may be Japanese marks on the front or inside the front objectives.

I hope that it is well aligned and has no internal problems.

Regards,
B.

P.S.
The top two stars in the bowl of Ursa Major are 10.37 degrees apart.
The binocular has to be held at right angles to Ursa Major to get a correct separation.

Last edited:
wonder if that's "Kamako" an early version of kamakura koki perhaps? Nice looking binos .Wonder if there are JB/JE #'s there somewhere looks to be maybe mid 60's so there may be JB/JE. BK7 or BaK 4 prisms?

Very good condition, wide eyepieces.
Magnesium body, maybe high quality product.

Perhaps c.1970.

K optical company?

There may be Japanese marks on the front or inside the front objectives.

I hope that it is well aligned and has no internal problems.

Regards,
B.

P.S.
The top two stars in the bowl of Ursa Major are 10.37 degrees apart.
The binocular has to be held at right angles to Ursa Major to get a correct separation.
No markings that I can find, but I will have a thorough check. Collimation and internals all good. Thank you for the information.

wonder if that's "Kamako" an early version of kamakura koki perhaps? Nice looking binos .Wonder if there are JB/JE #'s there somewhere looks to be maybe mid 60's so there may be JB/JE. BK7 or BaK 4 prisms?
Thank you Pat. The ocular lenses are huge for older binoculars. No markings as such yet but I will have a thorough look. Not bad for £18 methinks.

These are the only Kanako binoculars 7-12x35 zooms I could find online that someone has for sale on ebay. No other information on web that I can find at the moment.
s-l960.jpg

Last edited:
this from a contributor to the bino forums at cloudy nights where I posted the question on your 7x35's.
"Given the exact same t.v.-screen "KOC" logo - plus that "Kana" part of the brand name - I'm thinking that sweet-lookin' Kanako was made by Kanagawa. I would guess it to be mid-to-late-'50s vintage, too. If I had to guess a single year, I'd lob a dart at 1956. -But that's a totally frivolous guess; it could be '53, or it could be '59."
Pat

this from a contributor to the bino forums at cloudy nights where I posted the question on your 7x35's.
"Given the exact same t.v.-screen "KOC" logo - plus that "Kana" part of the brand name - I'm thinking that sweet-lookin' Kanako was made by Kanagawa. I would guess it to be mid-to-late-'50s vintage, too. If I had to guess a single year, I'd lob a dart at 1956. -But that's a totally frivolous guess; it could be '53, or it could be '59."
Pat
Thank you Pat. I am extremely grateful for that information, thank you for your time and effort. I shall keep browsing for information.

I also thought it might be early 1960s or even 1950s, but gave 1970 before I tried looking for JB numbers.

7x-12x35 is also unusual as they are usually 7x-15x35.

Certainly £18 is a low price.
If made today, probably £250 to £300 new.

Regards,
B.

I also thought it might be early 1960s or even 1950s, but gave 1970 before I tried looking for JB numbers.

7x-12x35 is also unusual as they are usually 7x-15x35.

Certainly £18 is a low price.
If made today, probably £250 to £300 new.

Regards,
B.
Thank you Binoastro. I have looked everywhere and found no JL or suchlike numbers on the binoculars

Don't know if this could be a good lead, but by the general shape, main specs, texture of the armour leatherette and even the position of the screws on the top plate (and baffling on the eyepieces) these look pretty similar to a pair of Horisont Panorama 7x35 11º that I had a while ago (and that can be found under different brand names). It was marked on the front side of the bridge as JB-146 JE-21 (Warabi Kokisha according to the tables available online as well as some posts on CN).

Horsont.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back