• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

India trip (1 Viewer)

Nick Brooks

New to the forum and trying to find info on trips to India. Have a few of the tour companies' brochures which seem quite expensive and have found local indian sites which seem less so but won't go ahead with just one person. As a predominantly solo birder are there any groups out there where I might get in touch with others that may be wanting to do such a trip. I'm interested in Bharatpur, Bandhavgarh (as I would like an almost guaranteed tiger sighting) and Corbett National Parks, with the obligatory nip to the Taj Mahal (but am not that interested in other monuments/buildings as I'd rather be birding). Would be interested in going in Jan/feb 2005. I have already sent my details to John Dempseys site in case anybody was going to recommend that. Don't really know if i've posted this to the most appropriate forum.

Cheers

Nick Brooks

Hi Nick, maybe worth posting something on oriental birding yahoo group, that has over 1100 members interested in Asian birding, somebody there will be able to help you out more

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/orientalbirding/

Maybe look at Naturetrek if your interested in something cheaper, they used to do cheap deals for this, or ask Wildwings. There's so many companies out there though!

all the best

Have you thought about...

Goa is a great introduction to Indian birding. You probably wont see a Tiger but the birding is great. It can be organised easily by getting a package holiday from a highstreet Travel Agent. Get a hotel around Baga area and you can walk out each morning and start birding.

There is also the Backwoods camp up in the hills. They run 3 day/2 night trips to their tented camp and take you around birding in the forests. They even pick you up from your hotel.

You should be able to find lots of info on Goa as it's a popular birding destination. Check out the trip reports on Surfbirds.com

Dave

Dunno if this will be of any practical help but.........

Lake Chilka in Orissa State is pretty good. A large lagoon (I read somewhere it's the largest in Asia) with tons of birds. Well off the beaten track-hire a boat (with boatman of course) and I guarantee you'll have the whole place to yourself. Wildfowl/waders/raptors/herons/flamingoes.........

Of course there are more famous places in India (none of which I've visited) and Orissa isn't exactly conveniently located but I can honestly say it was one of the best birding experiences I've ever had.

Bharatpur is easy to get to by train from Delhi. However Delhi train station is a bit daunting for the unwary, but head for the tourist information office on the first floor and ignore all touts and guides who will try and deviate you to a nearby travel agent.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back