• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID on Moth caight last night. (1 Viewer)

simondix

Caught this last night. Bit tatty I'm afraid. Size of Common Quaker. I thought maybe one of the Chestnuts. The Chesatnut or dark Chestnut. But also possible aberrant Common Quaker. Those are my guesses. All offers welcome.

Attachments

• DSCN2328.jpg
    DSCN2328.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 163
Bear in mind I haven't seen one of these but I would say this is a Dark Chestnut. I can't think of another noctuid on the wing with dark outlined stigmata. The stigmata are also the right shape and size and it has a pattern of pale spots along the leading edge of the forewing. The distinctive, square-winged shape is not obvious, but then the termen appears to be trashed.

They are right at the end of their flight period, which might go some way to explaining its condition.

All I could say is that it's extremely worn! The legs look quite distinctive. Have you considered posting it on the ukmoths yahoo group, where many experts can view it?
It is, presumably, a macro?
Ken

Just had a closer look at Skinner and there is an example of The Chestnut illustrated that matches your moth quite well. This would make more sense as I think Dark Chestnut is scarce in March and it would explain the less-than-perfect wing shape. Pretty sure it will be one of these two species. See what is suggested on UKMoths.

Last edited:
Think I'll retire from doing the moths on here, you guys are doing well enough without my input! But for what it's worth I think this one is definitely vaccinii The Chestnut. Dark Chestnut is more of a late Autumn species that occasionally overwinters, but I would be surprised by one reaching mid.March

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back